Tuesday, May 13, 2008

That weird it's-raining-in-the-desert smell is in the air

Okay, so I jumped the gun on that perpetual summer thing. Today was cloudy and varied between sprinkly, drizzly, and a bit rainy. It was neither too cold nor too hot, and I had a decent tailwind much of the time. I considered rigging my tent up like a sail, but I don't think I have the right kind of rope. All in all, it was not such a bad day to be riding. So why am I ready to poop out so much earlier than yesterday? Maybe because the sprinklers in the park kept me awake for awhile last night? Maybe because this is the bumpiest shoulder I have encountered yet? I try to ride on the ever-so-slightly smoother road as much as possible, but this doesn't help enough. It also involves constantly checking my rear view mirror so I can move when someone comes up behind me, which is just not a fun way to ride. I make myself stick with it until my next destination.

I arrive in the next town and see a diner. Sign me up for some hot cocoa and a sandwich, please! When I inquire about camping, the sweet woman who owns the restaurant and her mother-in-law who used to own the restaurant say I can pitch my tent in their yard, which is right next door. They even offer me a shower, which I may be too tired and lazy to go for tonight. How nice are they?! I get myself set up, then come back for a beer and blogging. I'll have breakfast here tomorrow, too. I'm more than happy to throw extra business their way.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

Just to let you know, like many here, I is addicted to your blogs—got that RSS feed going and all.

Just wanted to let you know that I am, really am, finally going to organize that moonlight paddle I talked a lot about last year. Also, took the boat out Sunday for the first time this year and discovered, hey, there's a pizza place and a pub just up the hill at Madison Park! If only we'd known....

Anna said...

I can't get over how many nice people you are meeting. Mile by mile you are restoring my faith in humanity.

Anonymous said...

Cheri - howdy!

It's so much fun reading about your adventures. You rock. So inspiring. Sounds like hard work, and a lot of fun. Stay safe.

I'm headin' down south to San Diego, for a mini-trip of beachin', surfin' & relaxin'.

You were right about Built to Spill - I'm hooked and can't get enough of their old & new albums.

THANKS for sharing your adventure via this blog. Again, you rock!

Cheers -

Patrick

* for those on the interwebs I don't know ... Kim & I are good friends, back from high school, and Cheri & I worked at UW together, and we went on a fun rainforest backpackin' trip last summer.

Cheri - glad those bee/wasp? stings weren't that bad ... plus rememebr the wacky-soundin' elk? So cool.

NewsCat said...

Hey the reporter part of me wants to ask you to start naming the restaurants and diners you eat at. Especially if you want to thrown them some extra business.

Something like "Sue's Diner in XZY, Oregon IS SUPER FRIENDLY."

Faith said...

Yay for pitching a tent safely in the back yard! Wow, slightly soggy weather is tough :( Though, at least it is warm.
Also, a shout out to other bloggers, I too know Cheri from working at the UW and we officially met because we had the same jacket and bus route!
Cheri you rock!

Rosie said...

I like newscast's idea.

You really need to write a book when your bike adventure is done. Justin & I think that really would be a neat book. I bet you'd be surprised how it would sell. Just in family & friends alone, LOL!!!!!

Since others have said how they know you:

I am Cheri's cousin through marriage. I"m married to her cousin Justin on Cheri's mom's side. We live in Tucosn, AZ.

MOM said...

Hi Baby,
This is too much fun. I will comment on the last two days worth. I love everyone's comments and how you know Cheri.
Cheri said she is doing a more detailed story, so Cheri maybe in that version you can put some of the names of restaurants etc. so when you get back people will have access to that info.
I am so excited that you are really living your dream. Your daily notes are interesting, fun, witty and just right.
The people you have met up with and that just offer lodging and showers....how cool is that? You know there are people out there like that, but is just gives you the warm fuzzies to read about it. Thanks all.
Love Mom

Peg said...

So glad that you are exploring life and having fun. Some say that life is what you make it....and you are making yours exciting. Love reading your notes.....I also love reading all of the comments. Very glad that you meeting wonderful people.....I thought that they must be out there somewhere. Keep enjoying the adventure.