Monday, May 26, 2008

Equation for Stagnation

(knee pain)(strong headwind + holiday traffic + ridiculously cheap campground + advice from bike-trippin' friend) = staying put for another day.

Another beautiful day. I'd like to be riding, but don't want to injure myself and end the trip early. Besides, there are benefits to lazing around on a sunny day. I got to recharge all of my technology, and I got to watch a small bird chase a squirrel from one tree to another, then all the way up it. The squirrel must have been nosing around her eggs. Now there is a fly on my hand, licking it or sniffing it or whatever they do with their proboscis. Yesterday I watched a fly lick the cover of my book for a good twenty minutes. He was unshakeable. I wonder what made the book so tasty.

If any of you pass by Odessa, WA, for the love of food bring this woman (http://dustdevilwoman.livejournal.com/) some curry paste. She and her husband, who I met in Odessa on my previous day off, are living my other, pastoral, dream. The goat farming one. Her dream started out similar to mine, what with the dairy goats and cheesemaking, but she explains how that changed to meat goats.

1 comment:

go_Jake said...

Don't ride so hard that you just pass straight through every interesting place you end up. My favorite days from my trip were the resting days and I still keep up with some of the kids I met. The girl I did poster tour with was someone I met biking through Portland.