Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Product Reviews

It's raining, and my legs hurt.

Over breakfast this morning I think of a million other excuses for why I should enjoy the rain from inside my tent today. I go back to bed for a while, and the Canadians sally forth.

A couple of days ago I finished the book I was reading, "Three Cups of Tea." (http://www.ikat.org/three-cups-of-tea/) It was inspiring and heartwarming and what-not. Please give them money. But now I am bookless, and so I venture forth from my tent in search of reading material. It's slim pickings in this town, but I pick up a book of crossword puzzles. There is a covered picnic table area in this park, so it's easy to cook and spend some time outside the tent. The lack of sun makes me want to limit the time I spend using my phone and iPod, since I cannot charge them with my solar charger.

Speaking of solar chargers, the Brunton Solarport 4.4 is pretty sweet, what with having a 12 volt outlet, a USB outlet, and coming with a battery charger. The only thing that makes me second guess this purchase is that it doesn't have an internal battery, like some other portable solar chargers, that would allow it to collect sun all day and charge things at night. I have to hook it to my backpack or bike rack as well as to the thing I would like to charge while I am riding, which can occasionally get unwieldly. But hey, free power!

On the subject of sun, Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer sunblock doesn't seem to be clogging my pores, and mostly stays put while I'm sweating. Sometimes my eyes sting a bit, but I'm not sure if that is the sunblock's fault, or the sun/wind combo. And now that the Aveeno stuff has been demoted from face to body, I'm quite happy with it, but it's kinda pricey, so I doubt I'll buy it again.

No good segue here: I also just finished the audiobook of Phillip K. Dick's "A Scanner Darkly," which is one seriously trippy book. I had seen the movie, so I kind of knew what I was in for, but dang! I really wished I was actually reading it, instead of listening to it, so I could have attempted to follow it better.

For anyone wishing to reach me by telephone: the best time is probably between 7 and 9 PM (local time wherever I am.) By then I'm almost guaranteed to be done riding and have my tent up for the night. That being said, I'm often done sooner, and I take plenty of food breaks throughout the day, so you can call me whenever. Don't worry about bothering me-- since I'm in the Saturday club I'm probably the least busy person you know. I won't hear the phone while riding, but most other times I will be happy to hear a familiar voice.

4 comments:

Minnesotajo said...

Hi Cheri,

I have heard fabulous things about "Three Cups of Tea." I think that needs to be my next book. When will you be in Chicago? We could do a book swap but you probably don't want to carry the extra weight if you don't need to! It's awesome that you are taking time to listen and identify the birds, observe the cows, read and listen to books and meet so many nice people along the way. I remember when you came to visit me in Boston. You didn't want to ask the waiter for the change. Look at you now! Chatting up a variety of people. I am sooooo proud of you! You are doing a damn good job at living your dream. Keep it going, Cheri!

Minnesotajo said...

...For the last week or so I could not post because it wouldn't recognize my ID and password. I went back in and retyped my info so it works again. Finally! I enjoy ending my evening with reading the events of your day. You are an entertaining writer, Cheri. Keep it up!

Seattlenaturelover said...

That sucks it is raining. Is that why you staid put today? Hope it stops raining soon because I enjoy reading your stories. I just wish I could picture where you are at better though.

MOM said...

I also have been thoroughly enjoying your daily comments and saying what an interesting writer you are. Taking time to smell the roses....okay study the cows, whatever it might be, is a good thing. :) Maybe I'll try it one day myself.
XXOO
Mom