Monday, May 12, 2008

The smell of sage is in the air...

..and I'm going through sunblock like it's Fat Tire at beer hour. Perpetual summer has begun!

My ride today began with a grueling hill up to the Stonehenge Memorial. Apparently it is built to the scale of the original, and memorializes soldiers from the area who died in WWI. I'll admit it. I walked up most of the hill. It was steep. The rest of the day was uneventful. The road isn't very busy there, and the shoulder is wide and clean. The best part was that the smoothest stretch of road was on a looong downhill slope, and I got up to 32 mph with no shimmies. Weee! I couldn't go any faster, because my highest gear only goes about 27 or 28 mph before spinning uselessly.

I made it to the store, and was so happy to be there, I went buck-wild. Choco Taco? Yes, please! Oreos? Don't mind if I do! An apple? Why not? I inquire about camping and the friendly woman points me toward a nearby park right on the water. Camping is free. I'm so excited to be finally living the dream, I buy a couple of other heavy things for immediate consumption, overload my panniers, and head down the hill to the park. My bike will be lighter heading back up this hill tomorrow...

At the park I'm pleasantly surprised to find a free hot shower in the bathroom. Apparently, I owe my eternal gratitude to local kiters and wind surfers who have cleaned up the park and the bathrooms. Thanks guys! Your hard work did not go unnoticed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't the title be "The smell of Oreos is in the air..."?

Faith said...

Aahh! To bike, eat, and repeat! That is the life! I'm so excited that you are snacking on good fuel items! It is supposed to be HOT later this week. Stock up on sunblock too.

Anna said...

Fake Stonehenge!! My Fav! I wish there were pictures!

jickehnrackee said...

how come all the good foods are on the other side of that river thingy youre next to? maybe washington doesnt know how to google index. its a crappy day here. bike as fast as you can and stay ahead of the rain. i told you that nitro boost kit on ebay was a good idea...sockittoem' peddly betty.