Friday, May 9, 2008

I *am* riding east!

I swear! But my progress is so slow you can't see it on the map... After I follow the Columbia for a while longer I will head north to meet up with Highway 2, and then it's off to Glacier National Park. Where I expect it will still be a bit chilly. Perhaps the bears will keep me warm.

Today was beautiful, sunny and warm, but not hot, with a nice breeze coming up from the Columbia. I hooked my solar charger to my backpack and charged my cell phone while I rode. There were a lot of level areas, and the uphills weren't too long, and were often followed by downhills. Sounds ideal, right? It was, for the first couple hours. Then I started to feel a now-familiar bumpiness. This time, the back tire was flat. At least there was plenty of shoulder where it happened! I'm considering getting sturdier tires, but nothing would have stopped the industrial-sized staple that had pierced my tire this time. I unloaded all the gear from the back and changed the tire, getting completely covered by chain lube in the process. Thank goodness for handy wipes. I had a snack, reloaded, and hopped back on my bike. I rode for-- oh, about 200 feet when I saw a sign that said "Tunnels next two miles. Lights on for safety." I stopped and dug out all of my lights, which were now looking really tiny in the broad daylight. I attached them strategically and rode on with increasing panic. When I approached the first tunnel, I saw something I had never noticed before as a passenger on car trips: a crosswalk button for bikers! It activated a flashing light above a sign that said "Bike in tunnel when light is flashing. 30 MPH." That helped. I made it past the tunnels safely, only to be greeted by a long stretch of road with no shoulder. Sigh. When I came upon an RV park, a few miles later, I decided I had had enough for the day, and called it quits. Now I am camped on a big lawn that is shared by all the car campers who happen to be staying at the RV park. It feels way less secure than the other place I camped, but I keep telling myself that these luxury car campers have no interest in stealing my hardcore backpacking gear.

Who are these people who camp here on purpose? Don't get me wrong, I totally get luxury car camping, but *here*? Who is driving down the highway and says: "Oh look honey! An RV Park right between the highway and the train tracks, and right next to the convenience store! That looks like a great place to stay!" Why not drive a little further, to somewhere better? Like the state park? Maybe there's something more about this location I don't know. Some of them have fishing boats...

Anywho, if I've learned one thing while changing my bike tires, it's this: when you are digging your bike multi-tool out of your pannier to change your tire, you might as well get your pliers out, too. You will need them for something.

And in case any of you were wondering what it is like to bike past a train that is going the opposite direction as you on tracks that are about eight feet away: nerve-wracking. Now you know.

5 comments:

Minnesotajo said...

Hi Cheri!

Ok, I'm not sure how you get East out of going West but I'll trust you on that one! Sounds like you had another great day despite the 2nd flat tire. I don't envy you being at the RV park. I never understood them!

I look forward to reading your blog every night. I keep clicking and clicking on your blog to see if you've written yet! I love hearing your stories. Can you include about how many miles you have ridden each day? It must be so nice to get up each day and not have to think about going to work. You are so lucky!

Enjoy your weekend (although I'm sure everyday is like the weekend!)

Andi

Minnesotajo said...

Ok, I think I figured out your route going East. I thought you started in Camas and rode to Lake Yard but now I realize you started in Lake Yard and now you are somewhere between Bridal Veil and North Bonneville, right?

meanderingsteve said...

hey little one!

tried the blog earlier and didnt get anywhere. tried again now and, oh wow!

didnt think of you starting out from the southern part of the state, but it really makes sense. was on I84 across the river from you a couple of times in the last few months and enjoyed the sight of the truck lights floating along seemingly in the sky on a really dark night. (for those who arent there: I84 runs along close to the water level of the river and the road that she is on climbs high on the other side)

we will meet up out there in the great wide, but am so glad to be able to keep in touch this way. i am heading toward austin at this point with a load of commercial air conditioners.

love the community here, keep dropping hints as to who you are. patrick, it was good to meet you. andy, you do not remember sleeping on my chest as an infant. i hope you are well. anna, fond memories. wendy, are you the wendy of our road trip?

thanx for that map'n thang, and blessings to your new friend from the store
gotts to put'er back in the wind
pop

WendySue said...

I'm glad they have those lights in the tunnels, you're right! I myself have never noticed them before. I'm on vacation, so you are welcome to call me whenever you get a chance. I don't want to call you and end up waking you up or making you crash. I'm waiting to hear from you Madame C...until then, try and remember how big the mosquitos get the further you head East

WendySue said...

...oh and: Yes Steve! It is I, the Wendy of Minnesota folklore. It's funny that you would more remember me by the trip where I didn't really exhibit the best of visitor manners, and not as the permanent fixture I was on your couch all through High School :). Hope this comment finds you in good spirits, I tried to just send you an email, but am learning my way around gmail and all that mess.