Saturday, May 17, 2008

Jick gets a gold star.

The bird expert of the Seattle group (who would like to make it clear that she and her husband are from Sultan, not Seattle!) confirmed that the weird-noise-making birds are indeed Brewer's blackbirds. That noise is the "Hey ladies, check me out" noise that they make while displaying all of their feathers.

Riding along 17 is pretty nice, not too hilly, and traffic isn't too bad mid-day. The wind, however, is a serious handicap today, as is the sun. It doesn't help that I am pedaling in long sleeves. Stupidly, yesterday I decided that I also wanted a day off from sunblock, and I should be fine if I spent the entire day in the shade, wearing a hat. Wrong. I burned in the shade. I am the whitest person you know. So now I am wearing long sleeves until my arms stop hurting, and I can again attempt to introduce them to the sun.

After being misled by Google and asking for directions three times, I finally stagger into the campground. Today was long, and I don't have much more to say about that.

4 comments:

jickehnrackee said...

ummmmm..that would be rackee with the gold star. although jick did identify a western tananger in the back yard.

Anonymous said...

I must be tired, but I am amused that the map shows you've been pedaling through the Jackass Mountains... :)

Of course, I'm easily amused....

It was nearly 90 here today.

WendySue said...

I'm understnd the burning and the whiteness...I noticed the other day that I can see all the vein work in my chest in the mirror... and I think I have only ever been pale-horse, and when I'm not being that, I'm just flat-out burnt! I'm so happy to hear that you've been meeting all of these great people, you've always been so charming an easy for people to talk to so of course I'm not surprised. When is the best time for you to receive phone calls? I've been dying to call you back, but want to actually reach you. Texas was fun, I got to see the world's biggest cotton gin in Martindale.

Faith said...

Ouch, the sunburn! Our pearly white skin is no match for that scorching UV!
Had a 'make your own bloody mary' gathering at my place today for an earl b-day party. I tripled up on pickled garnishes and ate my drink more than I drank that drink! Wish you had been there!
Cheers!