Monday, May 19, 2008

Blurg, the wind

Went through a bit of a service black hole there...

Sunday was ridiculously windy. I knew it would be a tough day when it was hard to reach 6 mph on level road. I would have lost my mind if I kept heading north, and I was hoping to make some progress that might keep me ahead of the impending rain. I revised my path on the fly, heading east on 28 instead of continuing to 2. This way, the relentless wind was at my back, hopefully for at least a day and a half, and I would still meet up with 2 before Spokane. I missed out on some scenic stuff, but kept my sanity. I couldn't stop thinking that if I hadn't taken that day off, I might have missed the super strong wind. Shoulda coulda woulda... I think I'm happier with this route anyway, because it's emptier. I made great time after I turned east, and eventually stopped at a lonely house to inquire about camping. I thought I would have to set up my tent beside the road and have a handy wipe bath before bed, but the helpful homeowner directed me to a town, Wilson Creek, only about five miles further that has a city park that allows camping, along with working toilets and running water. Luxury! There's a tavern down the street, so I set up, cleaned up, and headed over for some beer and blogging. Mmm Fat Tire. Got to hang out with some local bikers (the smart ones with the motors, not the morons with the pedals...) and one toofless drunk, who were all quite nice. Slept ok except when the sprinklers came on. Those city parks do it to me every time. Ok, both times.

2 comments:

Sophie said...

Hi Cheri,

It is really great to follow you on your way. You are such an entertaining writer, I found a new way to not finish my Ph.D. dissertation.

I am waiting for you in Ottawa.

I am so sorry I missed you the last night you were in Seattle.

Hope the wind will blow on your back tomorrow!

Sophie.

Anna said...

Looks like you're by Moses Lake. I canoed across that once with a very strong head on wind the whole time. Unbelievably exhausting. Glad you improvised a better route!!