Saturday, May 24, 2008

Idaho, wooo!

But Highway 2 is really bumpy in this state, booo!

When I began pedaling this morning, I realized my leg muscles were all out of juice. They weren't even muscles, they were rubber bands. It seems I only have about three days of pedaling in me before I need a day off. But since I had already packed up all of my gear, I decided to make some progress anyway. I barely dragged myself over the state line, mostly fueled by willpower.

The weather started out beautiful today, with the only detractor being my nemesis, the wind. I had great views of the mountains I was sure to be climbing soon, and was surrounded by trees. I had truly left the desert behind. Thankfully, it seemed like I had more downhill than up today, but with the wind, there were times when it still *felt* like up.

When I entered the town of Newport, WA, right on the border, I saw a sign for Margaret's Market that promised organic produce. I needed an apple! I went in and found that it was one of those stores that sells all kinds of hippie products, and the only produce was in a little refrigerator case in the corner. I picked a Fuji apple ($2.99/lb!), the only kind of apple available, and the friendly hippie working there (not Margeret) only charged me fifty cents for it. Then she washed it for me! I chatted with her about places to camp while I ate the apple, and she suggested some places where I could just pull off the road and camp for free, and also mentioned a campground where I would have to pay. My google guru Jackie had already informed me of this place, so I got to feel all smart and prepared when I said "Oh, that's the place in ---?" We chatted some more about my trip, then she gave me two more apples on the house. She was so into the idea of the trip that she wanted to load me up on supplies, but I have all I can carry already (I passed a Fred Meyer on the way out of Spokane) so I thanked her and said I'd better get on the road, because the storm clouds were brewing. They had been getting bigger and darker all day. I found the pay campground, because I'm taking tomorrow off, and I don't want to run out of water while I'm lounging. They seem pretty full in the car camping area, but the bike camping area is all mine! I set up my tent just in time, before the rain started. So far, this seems like a pretty cool place to take a day off. Expect to see a full on advertisement after I leave...

1 comment:

MOM said...

WhooHoooo!!! IDAHO! Way to go. I can't tell you how many people are following you...waking up with their coffee, checkin' on you at the end of their day etc., and have commented on your excellent commentary.
Keep it up. Have a nice day off Honey. I think my eyes continue to improve. Seeing smaller print better now.
Talk soon. Take care.
Love you.