Sunday, May 11, 2008

Seeking corporate sponsorship

The wind was so strong last night, I didn't really sleep at all. I just watched the tent shake and wondered when it would collapse. I kept thinking of that book "Into Thin Air," when the wind collapses a bunch of tents during the storm. If I had slept, I would have had nightmares. But my REI Quarterdome tent is still standing, and I was snuggly warm in my REI Kilo Plus sleeping bag.

Since the wind is blowing about 20 to 30 mph, and will continue to do that through tonight, I decided my best course of action would be to stay put, nap when I can, and begin riding again tomorrow when the wind is supposed to abate. Just the thought of taking my tent down in this wind made me burrow deeper in my sleeping bag, and I'd rather not fight it all day, constantly worried that I will be blown off the road or in front of a car. I figured if I stayed in bed all day, I wouldn't need to eat much, but the dear camp host gave me big ole half a round of brie. Yum! I think it was left over from a party last night, and she would rather not have that delicious hunk of fat in the house. So now I am not just eating, but eating in style. Life is good.

And no, it hasn't rained on me yet.

5 comments:

go_Jake said...

If you get a good tail wind, try to rig your tent up like a sail.

Faith said...

Cheri,
It is awesome to read your posts! I am amazed at the awesome people that you are running into. I have read books where traveling folk meet decent help. It is nice to know for the most part that that is true! I am having a bloody mary party for my last year of the decade b-day on the 18. I wish that you were here to enjoy it with me and a small gathering! Alas, I will be thinking of you on the bike!. Take care, keep the posts coming!

Rosie said...

Brie - YUM!!!! It is past lunch time here in my office in Tucson, but like most days in the office, I get so busy, I either forget to eat or end up eating a late lunch.

I love how you can track your progress. Too Cool!!!!!

Justin & I were looking at the map last night after your mom mentioned your location.

Stay Safe!
ROsie

MOM said...

Hi Cheri,
This is a test to see if I can comment.
Love Mom

MOM said...

Hi Cheri,
HOORAY!FINALLY, I can add my comments. I have so enjoyed all you put in here Cheri and reading everyone else's comments. Cheri, you are meeting some wonderful people along the way and tell them your Mom says thanks. Have been wanting to thank you Jeremy and Steve for all you did for Cheri. It is fun to see how many people are interested and supportive. Take care Cheri
Love Mom