Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bike trip is over...

I'm settling here. The river, the trees, plenty of trails, a general store less than two miles away and a three minute hot shower for fifty cents? What more could a girl ask for?

After eleven hours of sleep, I finally managed to drag myself out of my sleeping bag, and decided a day of rest was in order. I puttered, ate, went to the store and took a short hike up to a beautiful viewpoint of the surrounding area. I rode to the store without all of my gear, which was really nice, but I was surprised to notice how squirrelly my bike felt without the seventy pounds of stuff strapped to it. I've heard that about touring bikes. It's all true.

Leaving my stuff unattended at the campsite was tough, but I wasn't in too much of a panic to return to it. Of course, I always have the best stuff with me, except my bike, when I was hiking. I finally feel like I'm starting to leave the robbery behind.

Early in the evening some highskool boys showed up to drink beer out on the dock, but the friendly ranger dropped by a little while later and the kids took off. Then some fishing buddies showed up to camp for the night, so it looks like my solitude is gone. Maybe I'll move on after all.

5 comments:

Dianna said...

Its Dianna, the lady who works at the general store where you are staying and I am glad to see that you decided to rest and stay another day in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge! You picked a wonderful place for that! I saw you again today when I was on my way to work and you were turning into the campground. I was going to stop by your campsite on my way home from work last night to check and see if you needed anything but I didnt want to be a mother hen and I was also scared that I may freak you out if I did. I think what you are doing is very exciting and I will live it with you vicariously through your blogs so Thanks so much for that!!! I do have to say though that I am so glad I am not your poor mother right now!


Best of Luck
Stay Safe
Dianna

Dianna said...

One more thing and this is for whomever is tracking her progress.
Right now she is located almost exactly where it says Columbia River on the map!!
Hope that helps!
Dianna

NewsCat said...

Dianna how cool is it that you came to her blog to post? I love hearing a reaction from someone Cheri met on her trail. So the blog become less of a diary and more of a story told by multiple characters.

BettyR said...

If Dianna is any indication of the quality of people you will meet on your trip, I know you are in for a swell time!
Thanks to Dianna for looking out for our special friend.
and Cheri..., whatever happened to the notion of your heading east?

WendySue said...

The fact that you are meeting people like Dianna just shows me that there are still bitchin' people in the world. My very good friend Major in Long Beach CA says you are more than welcome to come sleep on his boat if you head that way. (I forgot to mention that previously). You are on my mind!