Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Chilly, but not raining.

The day began and ended well, but the stuff in between was arduous. Everyone in the small town of Camas was really friendly, even if they thought I had gone crazy-ape-bonkers. The hardware store guys were super helpful, and didn't charge me for the 13 cents worth of electrical wire I used to rig up my cheapo rear view mirror that broke the first day. I took off on highway 14, and soon discovered that it went uphill for about 8000 miles before mercifully heading back down. I took much of it at a pace barely faster than a walk. I stopped a lot, because of the burning. The scenery was spectacular- this highway follows the Columbia River along the Lewis and Clark trail. There is a decent shoulder for much of the way, but some parts are kinda gravelly. I was so relieved when I finally got to go downhill, But my relief didn't last long. My beloved bike began to shudder and rattle. You guessed it: my first flat tire on day three of my trip. Fortunately it was the front tire, which is much easier to remove, so I got the thing fixed up quickly enough. Thanks REI bike maintenance 101! Many more hills and pauses later, I came upon a store and inquired about camping nearby. The wonderfully helpful woman at the store told me about a place just about 1.5 miles further, and dialed the ranger on the store's phone for me, so I could ask a few questions. I was told I could camp at one of the two spots down by the water, where the trains would be a bit louder, or ride up a giant hill and camp at one of the 25 spots there. The answer seemed obvious to me... So here I am, the only camper at a lovely spot by the water, next to the super clean bathrooms. Nice! The friendly ranger stopped by and chatted, and I got all sorts of useful info and free maps, and he pointed out some birds that were hanging around, either osprey or peregrine falcons. Also nice! The locals didn't think I would get cell reception here, but I have three bars. Thanks, AT&T! I'm getting used to the trains, and if I'm as sore as I think I will be tomorrow, I may just stick around for a day of rest, park exploration, and bike maintenance. (a word with which I lost a spelling bee in fourth grade, and still can't spell!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheri - yo! lovin' your posts. glad you found a sweet spot on the river. that area rocks. loved exploring Oregon in my few short years of living there. I'm enjoying my new [& your old] pad ... when I'm tired of the nearby alehouse, I'm gonna slum with the rich folk [for a minute or two] and use this fancy [and promotional] $25 gift card for Palisade...which came for you in the mail today :) . I'll toast to your adventure. Also ... on the Columbia, maybe near where you are? ... is a neat-o place called 'Edgefield' ... Alice in Wonderland-ish place with gardens, random whiskey & beer stands, bunny rabbits, nice people, all that jazz. Peace out - Patrick

Faith said...

Cheri, I can't believe that you are already past Portland! I love your posts! I have done the STP a few times, and yeah, Oregon, at least near Portland, has some crazy rolling hills that seem quite innocuous until you are trying to bike over them! I'm glad to see that you've met some helpful folk. Take care!
-Faith