Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The touring cyclists are taking over Ohio

Wednesday, 20 August: I slept in for as long as humanly possible today, partly because I was tired from getting in so late last night, partly because I didn't have far to go today, and partly because I wanted to get my money's worth for that campsite.

It was a short ride to my friends parents' house outside of Akron, but it wound up taking a bit longer than I expected. There was a super fun headwind, and the hills just kept getting bigger and more frequent. That was such a disappointment after the completely flat western side of the state. While I was snacking, the guy I met yesterday came riding by, so we talked some more. I guess he mostly just rides in the summer, and spends winters with various family members. That would be pretty fun.

Later in the afternoon, it was hot and I was on a busy road with hardly any shoulder, and I decided that stopping for ice cream would make it all better. When I came back out, another touring cyclist (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/allanb) was riding by. I waved, and he stopped for a chat before heading in to get some ice cream of his own. It was really odd seeing two other tourers in the same day on the same stretch of road, because they have been few and far between since I let the Northern Tier route in Rugby, North Dakota. I think these were the first I had seen since western Wisconsin.

It turns out the ice cream did make everything better, because the shoulder widened out just after the ice cream shop, and stayed decent for the rest of my ride. I made it to my destination, had a nice chat over a delicious salmon dinner, showered, and got online. Life is good.


4 comments:

claybasket said...

Well, for my part of the news, Dow Jones is at $11,620.17--up $189.96.
I know you were dying to know that. LOL
Before you get farther, I've been researching some unknown family roots from on the east coast. Knocking on some doors and slowly getting results. These are things my father has always wondered about and I'm taking whatever information I get to him next month. When they're in I'll let you see if they're of interest to you.
Wish I was there to share a HUGE ice cream cone with you. We have those in this house so stop by. :) That's it for today. Keep safe!

Cheri said...

Nice, keep me posted-- but just on the family stuff, not the Dow Jones ;) If you need me to do some research, let me know *before* I get there. I'm planning to make my way up to Maine from here, and then head down the east coast, so you have some time.

MOM said...

I too know of another cyclist in case anyone is interested in checking out his site. It is: hcjourney.org.
What was with the fire in two of the pics all about?
It was good to talk and get caught up. Sounds like you just continue to keep meeting great people.
By the way, need to get you straightened out on some history. The kotex machines were .5 or .10 when I went to school and that was...ahum...in the 60's. So let's not be misquoting important info.lol

Cheri said...

The fire in the pictures was from when I was hanging at the bartender's house after the chihuahua incident. Her brother decided he didn't want that old tv stand anymore.

The museum didn't put any historical info by the tampax machine, so I had to guess. Thanks for the info :)