Sunday, August 3, 2008

City life

Sunday, 3 August: I had a pleasant, shortish ride today from the suburbs into north Chicago. A little research yesterday on the internets helped me to plan my route through the city. The recommended bicycle routes are really well marked with tiny little signs for cyclists. So far I'm mostly happy with biking here, and plan to do more sightseeing from my Surly this week while my cousin is at work.

While I was riding in, I saw two different vehicles with those "Baby on Board" warning stickers in their back window, and briefly wondered if I had gotten lost and ridden to the eighties. But then I saw an H2, and, with a sad shake of my head, knew I was in the zeroes.

At one point, I tried to change gears and then everything locked up and I couldn't even move my pedal. I pulled up onto the sidewalk to check it out (in front of a bike shop, coincidentally, but they appeared to be closed) and found that there was a plastic grocery bag all twisted up in my cogs and rear derailleur. Forget that idea of charging a five cent fee for grocery bag use! These evil things should be outlawed! But then only outlaws would have plastic grocery bags, and they're exactly the sort of people who would litter them all around my bike lanes. I managed to remove it fairly easily, however, with no apparent damage-- but lots of guck on my hands.

My cousin and I went nuts at the grocery store, then had Ethiopian food, then made brownies and granola. Separately, of course. Pretty much the best day ever...

3 comments:

jo said...

YUM! Brownies sound ever so good right now, as does ethnic food like Ethopian or Indian...but alas, I live in MT and those are very rare unless I feel like cooking them myself.
We don't have that plastic bag charge yet...but we do recycle them through the elementary school who receives money from Wal Mart.
Sounds like you're enjoying your visit to the Windy City.
Jo

MOM said...

What I am curious about is where in the world was that bag to even get near your bike without you seeing it? Did the mere wind from you breezing by, whisk it out of the long grass along the side of the trail after you had passed? Cuz I know you would have avoided it like the plague if you had seen it. LOL

Cheri said...

This wasn't on the trail, it was on the street, and honestly... Chicago has its share of litter on the streets. It can be tough to avoid all of it, and those bags do blow around, so I think it snuck up on me.