Friday, August 29, 2008

Shoulda skipped Buffalo and Niagara Falls altogether

Friday, 29 August: Today was overcast and muggy, but it never actually rained on me, and I even had a friendly tailbreeze for much of the day. The terrain even leveled out some as the day went on, so I had a pretty swell day for riding, and made good time.

It wasn't all candy and cookies, though. I was warned by a couple of different cyclists to avoid Buffalo, because it was no fun to ride downtown. I picked a route that I thought would kind of skirt the city. In this case, "kind of skirt" ended up meaning "ride through the poor parts of town for almost two hours." I don't think I have ever gotten that many dirty looks in such a short time in my entire life. People are grumpy in the poor parts of Buffalo. But I made it through safely and got fairly close to the falls. I am camped for the night at a place right on the highway that is charging me a freaking ridiculous fee for camping, but what can I do? It's the holiday weekend soaking. The woman gave me a tiny little token discount since I am alone, so that was something. I could have saved a few dollars by camping further out, but with this location I should be able to go check out the falls really quickly in the morning, then get back here to load up my gear before checkout time. I consoled myself by charging my phone in the bathroom while I handwashed some clothes in the immaculate shower. It's a booby prize, really, but I'm trying to get the most out of my $35.

Speaking of candy, I have found the best candy ever. It nearly counts as an energy bar. I got it at the same place where I got the goat milk fudge. It is called "Peco Flakes," which I am assuming stands for "peanuts and coconut flakes," since it is basically just peanut brittle with coconut flakes. Yum. I will be making some of that next time I have access to a kitchen and a little spare time...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

$35!

I can hear you whining from here....!

Take several showers at that price.

Cheri said...

Yup. I've paid barely more than that for entire hotel rooms. But I'm still such a hippie, I couldn't bring myself to take any more showers than I actually needed.

MOM said...

Well, it was still cheaper than a hotel room, with same amenities and you said you liked sleeping on your tenting bed more anyway. Does that make it seem any better?

ali elizabeth said...

Cheri Lynn,

Your dad was home after being gone for six weeks, and one of my fave times was having him esconced in the bean bag chair reading your blogs to me. I wish you could have seen how his eyes were shining with pride and the tears that leaked out of their corners!

We were completely enamored with the "squishy" discussion with the Management Team. "Squishy" has gone into our cultural dictionary, and the royalties go to you.

Blessings all over ya, baby girl, and keep it up!
Ali