Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Eleven and Twelve

Wednesday, 27 August: Today was overcast and muggy, but not too hot. There was an occasional head/crosswind. It was really decent for biking, all things considered.

I got a nice early start this morning, and entered Pennsylvania after less than a mile of pedaling. Unfortunately, my standard bike-and-a-sign border crossing picture was terrible due to sun position. C'est la vie.

In the afternoon, I crossed over into New York state. I heart these tiny little states! Okay, I am well aware that I only cut across a tiny corner of Pennsylvania, but it still feels pretty swell to have ridden my bicycle through three states in one day.

I stopped by a roadside stand to pick up some delicious locally grown produce, and couldn't resist the goat milk fudge. I had to try it. It is quite tasty, with an excellent creamy texture, but I would not recommend smelling it from very close up.

Since it is supposed to be rainy tomorrow, I decided to ride hard today, then treat myself to two nights in the illustrious New York State park system. This campground has all of the modern conveniences like soap and running water (and great water pressure in the shower) for a fairly decent price. This is a combo I have seen far too little of lately... in state parks anyway.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheri
this is Allan, I met you at the ice cream shop on the outskirts of Medina. Glad to see you are being treated well along your journey. I passed the same goat milk fudge stand and wanted to try some but it was too early and they weren't open, I suspect you stopped at the same NY state pk as I did. Although i looked around, didn't stay after deciding it was just too eearly, If you come through southeastern Connecticut, New London area right on US HWY 1 also called Boston Post Road, send a note and we would can offer you a place to stay. I'm nearly across NY and will be back in Connecticut on Sun.

have a safe ride
Allan

Cheri said...

Good to hear from you Allan! You are cruising. I believe my route will take me in that direction, so I will definitely look you up. Thank you!

This park is nice enough, although the camping area is all open like some kinda of KOA, blech. I got one of the more treed spots, so that is good. I suppose I should take advantage of what the rest of the park has to offer, but then the idea of staying in my sleeping bag all day is so appealing...

MOM said...

3 states. Fun, really makes you feel like you are cruisin' too huh? Just wait until you start heading south from Maine. So is it very hilly in Ohio, Penn., or NY?

Cheri said...

It is hillier than western Ohio, but it's no Wisconsin. There is generally some level area between the hills, so I can rest up a little before the next one. Although it kinda seemed like it was getting steadily worse toward the end of the day, but that could have been a matter of perspective.