Tuesday, August 19, 2008

History and a headwind

Tuesday, 19 August: I woke up late and then spent some time at the Rutherford B. Hayes Museum before leaving Fremont, Ohio. It's a pretty friendly city. One old guy I chatted with told me that if someone is creeping me out, I should say "Give me space or you get the mace." I guess rhyming threats are more effective?

I've never been big on historical museums, and I'm still not. There's always a few cool things, and then a bunch of random filler. But, you know, I was right there and all... The "artifact" that got my attention the most was the totally ancient Kotex vending machine in the bathroom, that was only charging ten cents for a feminine napkin. That's right, just one thin dime. The design and writing looked all fifties. I wish I had gotten a picture, but my phone was outside attempting to charge in the little bit of sunlight that was coming through the clouds. My museum experience was spiced up a bit by two old ladies who sounded like they owned their own, much poorer museum. I didn't talk to them; I just listened while they nitpicked everything in the museum in an envious-sounding way.

I finally got moving after noon. With some help from some friendly joggers, I managed to find a bike trail that other Sheri had told me about. It only went to the next town, but hey, that was seven miles in which I didn't have to worry about getting hit by a semi. Also, the trees lining the trail lessened the effect of the strongish head/crosswind. While on the trail I met an older gentleman who was touring on a recumbent with a trailer. He has been doing basically what I'm doing-- sightseeing and visiting people-- for THREE YEARS and nine thousand miles. Awesome.

Toward the end of the day I ran out of water and stopped by Hook's Greenhouse on Route 18 just west of Wellington, OH to ask if I could refill. The kind woman who owns the place with her husband gave me a bottle of water, an ear of sweet corn, and a yellow heirloom tomato. She wanted to give me more, but I thought I should only take what I could eat tonight, since vegetables are squishy and perishable and all. I should have chatted her up about camping there, because I bet she would have taken me in and given me a shower and food, but for some unknown reason I was set on making it to Findley State Park tonight. I dunno, maybe it's the name. I made it here just before dark, and it's a pretty nice park, with soap and showers and toilets that flush and even a laundry facility. And it dang well better be nice-- campsites are twenty bucks a night! Yeesh. Well, at least I got to experience an Ohio state park.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

$20 a night! No wonder your voicemail sounded all pissy!

But, man, Rutherford Hayes Museum! That's kind of sorta like what going to the George W. Bush Museum will be like in 110 years. Hayes, of course, won a contested election (there were some dirty doings in Florida and a few other states) through some ugly political machinations that saw the end to Reconstruction and pretty much doomed the South (and much of the rest of the nation) to racial segregation and Jim Crow laws.

Many, I so hope you sent me a postcard! :p

NewsCat said...

You should visit William McKinley's house in Canton. Or Grant's "boyhood home."

Cheri said...

No... more... history... ack.

At least Hayes had the decency to refuse to seek a second term.

Minnesotajo said...

Well, if you don't want more history, here is a recap of today's news: Ricky Martin is the new father of twin boys (born from a surrogate mother), the New Zealand Olympic Field Hockey coach was banished from the field because his players were wearing black undies under their white uniforms(everything is supposed to match) and...there was an awful plane crash in Madrid, Spain. There you have it!

Cheri said...

Thank goodness no one is checking to see if my undies match! I would be banished from everywhere!