Thursday, August 7, 2008

Four plates of lunch

Thursday, 7 August: I got my hair cut this morning by my cousin's hairstylist, Goran Coban (http://www.gorancoban.com/). He did a good job, and he gave me a shampoo and scalp massage, which was pretty nice, but no one *knows* my hair like Beth knows it. The oddest things can cause a twinge of homesickness...

After the cut I considered doing some wandering in the neighborhoods near the salon, but I've never been the sightseeing-in-funky-neighborhoods type, especially since that usually just involves shopping and eating. I don't want any stuff, and my dad is in town, so I wanted to meet him for food, and there's really nowhere to park an eighteen wheeler in the city, so I headed back north, to meet him in Evanston. Yup. I rode out to Evanston three days in a row. On the way north, I did a ride-by of Wrigley Field, thinking that it was so famous and close, it would be silly not to. I had some vague notion of stopping there for a look around or something, because you all know how I love team sports and their venues, but when I got there I saw a whole gaggle of gawkers milling around in front of the place, and I said, "bored now," and rode on.

Dad and I went to an Indian restaurant that had a lunch buffet, and I ate until I was waddling around with an Indian food baby. Dad and I were planning to walk around the sculpture park, but then I was like, "ugh, I need to sit down." So we hung out in the shade for awhile.

While playing Trivial Pursuit, which we both love, my cousin and I discovered that neither of us likes Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, The Godfather, or Batman. I could be forgetting someone, but I'm pretty sure she is the only person I know who is in complete agreement with me on all of these series. We high-fived over it and totally flubbed that, and then I remembered the thing I learned recently about looking at the other person's elbow in order to high-five successfully. We tried again with pleasing results, and got so excited we went for a lefty-five, also with great success.

It's possible we haven't been getting quite enough sleep for the last few days...

3 comments:

MOM said...

Hey, could you teach me about the elbow thing. Cuz I seem to have some of flub times too. I sat here reading that and laughing out loud just picturing you two doing that. Can I join you club of agreement on those movies you mentioned too, with the exception of liking a few parts in some of the Star Wars. Oh, so now I'm out already? What the....

Cheri said...

It's simple. Just look at the other person's elbow, rather than their hand, when you high five. It works even if only one person is looking at the elbow.

Cheri said...

BTW, credit for the elbow trick goes to Matt via Elicia.

I miss those crazy scientists...