Sunday, August 10, 2008

Girliest day ever.

Sunday, 10 August: We started the day at Kopi Cafe, a mostly vegetarian restaurant/ juice bar/ coffee and tea shop in Andersonville, an area that has a Capital Hill vibe. I would highly recommend it. We moved on to Andersonville Galleria, which sells a bunch of arty kinds of things. I was enchanted by some items that were made out of old records and bike parts, especially a picture frame made of a bike chain around a picture of the Fat Tire logo. I was not planning to buy anything, but then I ran across my new favorite T-shirt (http://www.flickr.com/photos/26490833@N02/2750946749/) and justified the purchase by telling myself that not only is it small and will fit in my luggage, but I only had one non-technical T-shirt for city wearing which was already starting to grow tiny holes.

We decided to go full blown splurge and I got my very first pedicure. Dark blue polish, to match my bike...

Then it was off to the bike shop to pick up a few things my cousin needed to make her old rickety bike more user friendly. I got to be the mechanic, which was fun for me, because I didn't get time to mess around with my old bike before I left, and I'm afraid to do anything to my new bike, since it is already perfect and I don't want to weird it up. I was able to make some improvements to her bike, although I would love to have another week or two to learn how to make it even better. I never thought I would turn into one of those bike geeks, but I guess spending so much time with mine is causing a shift in attitude.

I was going to refer to the mechanic part of the day as the non-girly part, but then I decided not to sell my gender short. I had a super girly day.

4 comments:

jo said...

I love the shirt! And I checked out the bruise pictures too...OUCH!!

I'd love a pedicure about now, too, so I'm so jealous of that part of your day.

Can't wait to read more....

jo

Cheri said...

You aren't jealous of the bike mechanic part of the day?!

Minnesotajo said...

Cheri,

It was so awesome having you here with me! Words can hardly describe it. Thanks to you I have a "new" bike! The house sure is quiet tonight. No dinner to come home to...no more of your awesome baking...no more of your fabulous conversation and laughing. But, the memories are great and we have to plan that new adventure we talked on and on about! Take care and thanks for everything!

jo said...

I'm actually impressed by your mechanical abilities...but I'm not so mechanically inclined, instead I focus on those people skills I'm much better at!LOL

Jo