Saturday, August 30, 2008

I heart NY? Maybe.

Dear state of New York,

Although I appreciate all you try to do for the other cyclists and me-- like making those marked bike routes that cross the entire state, and putting them on your DOT website-- I can't help but wonder how you *really* feel about me. When the bike lane and signs suddenly disappear, and I am hung out to dry on a shoulderless road with bad cracked concrete on the righthand side, is it because you got busy and kinda forgot about me, or are you trying to tell me something? And why is there no mention on the DOT website of the Erie Canal Towpath that basically parallels State Bike Route 5? Do you want to keep it a secret? It sure seems that way, since I saw hardly anyone using it on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon. On a holiday weekend, no less! But you didn't mention it because it isn't a DOT project.

I would feel a lot safer if you would clarify your feelings toward me-- are you inattentive or filled with malice?

Thank you in advance for your prompt and honest response,
Cheri


Dear New York state drivers,

Drop dead, d-bags.

Regards,
Cheri


Saturday, 30 August: This morning went as planned. I rode over to Niagara Falls, took a few pictures, and had enough time to ride the loop around Goat Island. That is a beautiful park, and peaceful, too, since all of the tourists are clustered around the falls viewing areas. I got back to my luxury-priced campsite in time to load up my stuff before check-out time.

Then I headed east. I went and went and went. I started out on SBR 5, which is mostly just the shoulder of Highway 31. And a lovely shoulder it is. Usually. I met a guy from the Netherlands touring in the opposite direction, and he said I could ride along the canal, and he mentioned the town that he camped in last night, although the conversation moved along before I asked him any details about the camping. So this is how I found the towpath, with a few additional directions from a really odd and kind of annoying local guy in Lockport. It was mostly that hard packed gravelly surface, but that fit my mood today, since it got me away from the cars and was almost completely level. Although I guess the road wasn't all that hilly. The kayakers were out in full force on the canal, and I felt a twinge of envy.

By the time I got to the town where the other tourer had stayed, it was getting late, and I was hungry. I decided to treat myself to dinner at the local diner, and inquire about camping. I'm glad I went, because everyone was really nice, and they told me I could camp for free in the park by the canal. What?! It's been so long, I was starting to think it was all a nice dream. And I'm happy to drop a little cash on dinner when the camping is free. Especially at a facility as nice as this one. Bathrooms with soap and hot running water?! A sponge bath never felt better. There is a shower room, too, but it was locked. Although I'm certainly not complaining! I'm camped near a pond with a fountain, so I get a nice running water noise to add to the crickets. Ahh.

5 comments:

jo said...

After having to pay two arms and three legs last night for that campsite...truly hwy robbery...you deserve a night or two for free. Enjoy!

Jo

NewsCat said...

Funniest post yet.

Cheri said...

Thanks, Newscat! I try...

And j., I'm totally making up for all the money spent :)

Cheri said...

Oh, yeah, I passed by a DOT building today, and I sooo wanted to go in there and yell at someone, or perhaps just leave a flaming bag on their doorstep. But it was Sunday.

MOM said...

Well, so now it was like 15 or 10 dollars a night. Does that help at all? Was there a mail slot in the door of the DOT that maybe you could have slipped in the note at least? lol