Thursday, July 3, 2008

Wooo, Minnesota!

Wednesday, 2 July: I rode into MN, fighting the wicked wind of the north the whole way. About fifteen miles into the state of my birth, where my whole family is from, I stopped for one of my roadside snackbreaks. Someone stopped to ask if I was okay. I looked over at him, the first person in the state to talk to me, and it took me a second to answer. The guy looked so much like my dad and his brothers! I said I was fine, he went on his way, and I called my dad.

I got to Karlstad, MN, and was feeling pretty high on life, both because I was in MN and because I was only one day away from seeing my Uncle. I went to the American Legion hall and ordered a whiskey, as well as a round of whatever the two people at the bar were drinking. I didn't pay for a drop of booze or a bite of food the whole night. The people in that bar took care of me. An old farmer kept trying to convince me to stick around for a while, and it seems like a nice place, but I am really looking forward to seeing family after 59 days of not seeing anyone I know.

Also, I had the noteworthy experience of meeting my first black person of this entire trip. Yo, they got mad diversity all up in here!

In Minnesota, the signs when you enter towns say the population. It's nice to know when you come in approximately how big it is.

Thursday, 3 July: I'm currently en route to my Uncle's place in Roseau. It's only 42 miles with a tailwind and a smooth road. It's practically a rest day. I'm pretty stoked about making it there in time for the Fourth. I hope you all have a great holiday, filled with friends and family.

5 comments:

MOM said...

WOOHOOOO! You did good girl. And $100??!!!
Tell my bro hi and that I would like to call him but don't have his new #. So now you will be able to tell me where Roseau is cuz I still didn't find it on the map. I am not sure I will have reception Sat. as we will be at Kim & Stef's Fri. then Deb's Sat. But I'll find reception and give you a call. Also, we will be going home Sat. evening and chillin' Sun.
'Til then.

jo said...

WTG! You are so cool. Have a spectacular 4th with your family!

Jo

Susan and Jim said...

TWO MONTHS ON THE ROAD!! you GO girl. Happy 4th.

Minnesotajo said...

I just assumed that all towns in the U.S. included the population information. Minnesota must be ahead of it's time, especially with all that mad diversity Up North. Have fun in Roseau!

Cheri said...

Ha ha, I was totally being sarcastic about the diversity, but today I saw like four more black people, bringing the total for the last few days to five, which is about five times more than I saw in eastern WA, ID, MT, and ND combined... So in a sad way, it really is diverse. But the only asians I've seen, besides the tourists at Glacier, have been working in Chinese restaurants. What's the deal? Do they live in the basement? Are they not allowed to leave the restaurant?

Mom, Roseau is at the intersection of Hwys 11 and 89, way way up north and west. But you'll probably be able to see it on the fun little bike guy map in a few days.