Monday, July 14, 2008

I got off the couch

Sunday, 13 July: More chillin'. We went swimming (briefly) at the lake. It's been a cool summer, so the water wasn't super warm, and although the sun was out, the 30 mph wind made things a bit chilly. Then I sunbathed for a while, but the kitten decided I was a jungle gym, which was cute until she accidentally scratched the stuffing out of my legs. I went inside.

Monday, 14 July: I finally got back on the road today. It was a beautiful day, not too windy, and no tornadoes. I rode into Bemidji and had lunch with my Aunt, cousin, and stepsister at a nice little deli/coffee kind of place called the Wild Hare. It was yum. I also got a few more sculpture pictures. Bemidji is a pretty funky, bike friendly place.

I headed east from there to hook up with the Heartland/ Paul Bunyan Trails, which are part of the rails-to-trails projects that are happening around the US. This will take me all the way down to Brainerd, which gets my vote for best name ever, then I'll have to get back on surface streets to see my cousin near St. Cloud. It's a nice trail, kinda like the Burke-Gilman in Seattle, but waaaay less crowded. It's all tree-lined and pretty, with minimal exhaust fumes. My only complaint is that there aren't many places to camp, at least not on the part I've been on. I stopped at one RV park resort place that wanted $28 a night! They were kinda full and busy, and the price seemed non-negotiable. I inquired about cheaper options down the road, and the woman said the next RV park was $50 a night, and that there was nowhere to camp in the next town. This all sounded a bit implausible, so I moved on. The next RV park I came across is a brand new place without many guests. It is beautiful and quiet. They wanted to charge me full RV site price ($33, not $50), but when I looked ready to move on, the woman decided that some money was better than none. She asked how much I wanted to pay, about $15? I've never been good at wheelin' and dealin', so I answered honestly that most RV parks charge me $12 for tent camping. Done. Although this is by far the sweetest RV park I've stayed at. It even has a pool.

The woman I talked to (I think she is an owner?) grew up in Bemidji, and lived in the Seattle area for about five years. Wacky.

While I was still on Hwy 2, I think I saw a pair of bald eagles by a small lake. One of them took off as soon as I stopped, and the other one hung out long enough for me to get out my camera, and then took off. He couldn't have waited two seconds longer...

8 comments:

jo said...

Should have given you our friends in Brainerd's contact info. Andrea's an exceptional competition bow shooter and her hubby, Steve is pretty cool too. Bill met Andrea through work and she's been out here to visit/work a few times since.

Enjoy the trail system and continue to keep the wheels down and your spirits up! Too bad you missed the picture of the eagle, but aren't they spectacular to see in the wild?

Jo

Cheri said...

The eagles fly purty. I think I might make it to Brainerd tomorrow. It's not too late to contact your friends! You have my email, right? Or call me.

jo said...

Bill will call later with Andrea's contact info...it's at work.

Jo

OffGridSoul in the North Fork said...

Done deal - Bill

MOM said...

Hey Cheri,I went in to do some checking on the P. B. statue from when I was a kid and it is on the outskirts of town now under or in some kind of structure. So I don't know what they have at the amusement park where that one used to be. So if you don't actually get to see the one I am familiar with, you can see him on the net. But wouldn't it be kind of cool to have my daughter see the one I know? You can also see P.B. girlfriend on the net. She is in Hackensack, Mn. You are in some of our old stomping ground now.
Thanks J. and Bill.
Good job on a little haggling there about the campsite Cheri. After all you are not hooking up to elec. etc.

Pray Up North said...

Evening Kiddo - ok you're over 30 - but...you'll always be younger than me ahahaha.

Beautiful night in MN - Wondered if you would get scammed on camping. Sheesh - you'd thing you were tenting in Edina... (sorry MN joke - "cake eater" thingy). Glad you found a pool.

I have a great picture of the tornado we missed on Friday - will send it to you - put it on your flicker..."the one that missed me..." oh adventure and the La Fossandos....

Behave - be safe, thanks so much for spending time with us, it truly was a treat.

Cheri said...

Bill and Jo- Andrea is awesome, thanks! Can I just stay with your friends for the rest of my trip? ;)

Mom- I saw Lucette today. I guess there are two Paul Bunyans here in Brainerd, one of which is animatronic. I got in too late to see them, but I'm hoping to catch the non-moving one on my way out of town.

Aunt Bee- the time I spent with you and yours did more good for me than I can say. Truly. Thank you.

ClayBasket said...

Cheri you could have gone straight down to Itasca State Park and camped. You've spent some time in your past there and the bike trails are gorgeous.
Glad you like the name of Brainerd. I was born there and it's always been a pretty town with beautiful lakes.
You missed the fresh Ethiopean honey buns I told you about in our email and the Applesauce cake. MMMmmmmm. LOL I'll save you some.