Monday, July 28, 2008

56 might be the prettiest highway in Wisconsin

Sunday, 27 July: This is my seventh day of pedalling without a day off. I'm pretty drained and stuff is starting to hurt, so I took it easy today.

I stopped at the Westby Cooperative Creamery's cheese shop in Westby, MI, for some delicious and reasonably priced sharp cheddar.

At a rest stop I met a guy who was on his way home from a blues festival that he had gone to every year for the last six years. "But this year," he said, "I took my dog, my mom, and my girlfriend." In that order. I bet the dog loves to howl along with the blues...

I was planning to stay on highway 14 all day, heading in a generally south-easterly direction, but the wind was blowing from the WSW, so I turned off onto 56, which headed a bit more east than south. I'm glad I did. It is beautiful, and little-travelled. With the exception of one giant uphill part, it was mostly downhill for the 12 miles or so that I was riding, so that made me like it even more.

In the afternoon I ended up at a biker bar, the Iron Horse Saloon, in Viola, WI, and inquired about camping. The bartender liked me so much she let me camp behind the bar. I hung around for a while, drank a few more beers than I paid for, then crashed early and slept for a hundred years. I needed that.

3 comments:

chelswa21 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chelswa21 said...

You were camping one tenth of a mile from my mom's house when you were in Viola. That is fantastic :) Hope you enjoyed my homeland, the Kickapoo Valley.

Cheri said...

Does she ever hang out at the Iron Horse? If so, I probably hugged her at some point...