Tuesday, July 29, 2008

J. is right

I need a day off.

Tuesday, 29 July: I barely made my goal today of going about 35 miles to the New Glarus brewery in time for a tour and some beer tasting, no thanks to my capricious frenemy the wind, those evil hills, and that big animal that kept sniffing around my tent last night, waking me up. The brewery was pretty cool. Their beer is delicious, but is only sold in Wisconsin, so if you are ever out this way, pick something up. I can personally vouch for the Fat Squirrel, the Uff-Da, and the Road Slush, all of which are darker beers. When sampling, I also tasted some lighter beers which I am not personally a fan of, but they seemed well done. After the sampling, I inquired about camping, and was directed to the New Glarus Woods State Park. Screw that! This state park system will be getting no more of my money. I found a bike trail that headed off in a south easterly direction, and took that, hoping to find something along the way. I rode illegally, without paying their fee, because I figure they owe me, and I wouldn't have even been on the trail if I hadn't had some beer and felt like it would be smart to stay off the road. All of the towns I hit and inquired about camping had nothing to offer, they just kept directing me to the state park, no matter how far from it I got. I ended up at some crappy WT RV park. I couldn't find anyone who worked here, and then some people rode up in a golf cart. Campground employees often drive those, so I asked them what to do, and they told me to just set up wherever, and they would tell the owner I was here. I set up and then piddled around for awhile, waiting for someone to come take my money. No one showed up, so I gave up waiting and went to that dank pit they call a bathroom to have a shower. Thank goodness for flipflops. What a hole! I came back out and made dinner, but still no one came. I suppose I'll see them tomorrow, but I'm struggling with whether I should even pay if no one comes by. I think I will attempt to bargain like I'm in Mexico. The shower was probably worth about two dollars...

The people nearest me are having a giant bonfire that looked out of control for a few minutes. I swear they are burning furniture.

I really should have taken a day off in Viola, because I have disliked everywhere I stayed since then. It just gets worse and worse. Hindsight... I have been trying to just push through to Chicago without a day off, because I'll get plenty of rest there, but I am pretty beat and cranky. I could probably take tomorrow off here, and just stay in my tent napping, but the wind is supposed to be blowing 10 to 15 MPH in the direction I want to go, and the thought of blowing right on out of here is pretty irresistable. The longer I stay in Wisconsin, the less I like it. I don't know if that's Wisconsin's fault, or if I just have a bad attitude because I need a break.

Shoulda gone to Decorah.

No comments: