Thursday, July 24, 2008

Serendipity is so much better than route planning

Thursday, 24 July: I got going early today, and it's a good thing I did. The headwind picked up from a nuisance to a pain, and it was tough going. I kinda wanted to take the day off, but I hate doing that when I'm camping for free in a park, so I rode on. I still managed what I think was a fairly respectable distance, under the circumstances.

I got to highway 35, which is scenic. It reminded me a bit, in geography, of riding through the Columbia Gorge, but the vegetation was decidedly deciduous. At the junction of my lonely, pleasant county road and 35, I met a group of five cyclists from the twin cities who were on a two day jaunt through Wisconsin. We rode to a nearby rest stop (wayside rest, as they are called in this part of the country) and they gave me some good tips about bike trails in Wisconsin that I might take. They took off, and I chatted up some motorcyclists, also from the twin cities, who were out for a day ride. I rode on, and talked to the mayor of Maiden Rock, who was picking up trash on the road. I said something a while back about how litter-free the roads have been, but this was the first time I had actually seen someone picking up trash.

Later, the motorcyclists from the wayside rest, Jim and Judy, passed me up. They were waiting for me about a mile down the road, and asked me to dinner in the next town. Awesome! I met them up there, and they bought me beer and food. I was planning to go a bit further today, but decided maybe I should just camp out in this town. We had a good time talking. A guy named Harley Charlie (also originally from the twin cities, what the heck?! He and Jim and Judy knew some people in common) showed up to eat, and I invited him to join us. He was a pretty interesting guy, and he invited me to crash on his couch, which was about a block and a half away. A wise man recently told me "you're travelling! Always say yes!" so I did. We had some more good conversation back at his place, then I got a shower and camped out on the couch. Nice.

3 comments:

Pray Up North said...

Trying to give me a heart attack? You took a guy by the name of "Harley Charley" up on an invite to sleep on his couch...sheesh. What weapon did Kim give you? Keep it handy girl. Since I'm first to complain about your acceptance of the invite - I suspect your mom is still on the floor with Bob hovering over her with smelling salts...

I know...I'm forever a mama. Stay safe - you have half the town of Bemidji asking..."so where is your niece now?" Think I'll go down to Harmony and tell them they made the blog...ha.

Be safe kiddo - keep the stick handy... :)

MOM said...

I'm writing this from my hospital bed....in here from a heart attack!!!!

Cheri said...

He's a sweet old-school biker/hippie-ish kinda guy. I know good when I see it!