Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Maybe I should sleep while I'm still alive...

Tuesday, 22 July: The combination of a headwind and not sleeping very well for a few consecutive nights made for a lame riding day. There is a pretty cool state park about half a day's ride from where I spent last night, so I just went there. I like that a half a day's ride now is the same as a pretty decent day's ride at the start of the trip.

On one of my roadside breaks, I was passed by a guy from Denmark who was doing the adventure cycling northern tier route headed for Seattle. He had deviated from the course, and so was on the same road as me. He has already done the Atlantic coast and southern tier routes. He said he had done some touring in Europe, but it was always shorter trips, because there are so many little countries. I guess maybe he wanted to avoid some of them? I dunno. I got the impression that he liked biking the US because it is so vast and relatively empty. I told him he would love Montana.

Speaking of adventure cycling, I checked out this part of their route, and it really doesn't go where I want it to, so I'm gonna stick with winging it. As if winging it were a thing that you could plan to stick with...

I got the last non-electric (meaning cheaper) campsite at the park, although it still cost $20. At least their bathrooms are nice and clean. I wish state and national parks charged by the person, rather than the site, because I would think their biggest expense would be the hot showers and bathroom use. I don't think I should have to pay the same amount as the family of six camped next to me. But I guess I'm still occupying a whole campsite that could have been used by more people. Okay, more parks should have hiker/biker sites like at Glacier. That would please me.

I went for a nice little loop hike around the park and nearby town, then ate the second of the two "Kitchens of India" heat-and-eat meals I bought at the natural food store in Bemidgi. Man, were those things good. It was totally worth lugging them around for the last two weeks while I wasn't camping and didn't need them. They were really well spiced, with just enough burn for my taste buds, and didn't require any doctoring with pepper or cheese or onions, as my meals so often do. I'm going to keep an eye out for more of those. Yum!

Well, off to bed early, for a change.

No comments: