Saturday, July 5, 2008

Ow, my ears!

Friday, 4 July: Today was jam-packed with fun Fourth activities. I spent the day with my Uncle and his girlfriend, who grew up in the area and seems to pretty much know everyone. It helps that she is related to many of them, as she has 13 siblings. Dang! I had the pleasure of meeting her mother, who is a cut-up.

We started with biscuits and gravy, thanks to Jick's deliciously decadent cream cheese filled recipe. We went to the parade in Greenbush, then had a picnic in the park with some of Uncle's Girlfriend's family, who were fun and nice and introduced me to my new favorite ambrosia: cookie salad. That's right, cookie salad. It is vanilla pudding, cool whip, pineapple and mandarin oranges, topped with crumbled fudge stripes cookies. I couldn't get enough!

After the picnic, we went to the motocross races, where only one person was taken away in an ambulance. I heard later she had broken her rotater cuff. Then we went to the stock car races, where there was a spectacular mini sprint accident involving three vehicles, two of which flipped. Mini sprints are teeny tiny little ultra light cars with motorcycle engines, and they go super fast, so when they get airborne, they can really fly. Only one person was taken away in an ambulance. While there, I was spotted by a sweet woman who I had randomly met on the road to Roseau the day before. She had also been at the parade and motocross. Her fiancee races stock cars, and his grandson races motocross. The grandson had had a small crash with someone else that day, and sprained his wrist.

We stayed after the races for the fireworks, which were right out on the track area. They were super close, and huge, so that was pretty sweet.

Saturday, 5 July: Greenbush Rescue Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser, then some straight up chillin'.

Please enjoy this essay I wrote when I was about fifteen miles into Minnesota, while keeping in mind that I have met a lot of really kind, generous, helpful people since I wrote it.


Four Fingered Wave

When I left Highway 2 and headed into the far north of North Dakota, the frequency of four fingered waves increased until there was mutual waving with every single driver I passed. It made me think of a rural drive with my friend Jackie, when she invented "the wave wave," where you wave your fingers in sequence to make a little wave, like sportsfans in a stadium.

As I approached the border between North Dakota and Minnesota, I noticed the wave return frequency diminishing. On the Minnesota side, it was probably around ten percent. I had crossed the border jubilantly-- I was returning to the land of my birth! I was only a day away from seeing my Uncle, after 59 days of not seeing a single person I knew! But the lack of return waves started to get me down. "This is the stock I come from?" I thought. "These stoic hermits who pay no attention to anyone outside their own head?" Well, that wasn't exactly news to me, but a reminder of how difficult it has been to shed that frightened, inwardly-focused little girl I have been for most of my life, and how easy it would be for her to return if I didn't keep trying.

By milepost 8, I was ready to stop waving altogether. It was another reminder, a powerful one, of how much other people can affect our mood, and vice versa. It's why most of the people in a given city act differently from most of the people in another city. It's why the towns of Munich and St. Thomas, both in far northern North Dakota, both of similar size, located about 70 miles apart, can feel so different. It's why everyone in Seattle is polite, but not friendly, and everyone in Boston is friendly but blunt (Seattlites would say rude). When everyone around you behaves a certain way, it's very easy to join the crowd. When in Rome...

Of course this was all very easy to extrapolate to my differing relationships, or lack of, with various people in my life. When I reach out to someone and get rebuffed, or just plain ignored, it's way too easy for me to say "whatever. That person is not worth my time and energy." Then it becomes a vicious cycle, where I give up and don't respond to others when they reach out; where I apply the actions of a few to many, and decide no one is worth it. Then I'm left with nothing.

So, to all you infernal hermits: fine. Ignore me. Don't make eye contact. I'm going to keep waving my happy ass off.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You better... :p

BettyR said...

Wow Cheri,
Way to affect the paradigm shift! It's an introspection that I think can only come from spending 59 days without friends and family.
I think it's funny for you're also some kind of celeb around there, running into folks who've seen you on the road.
Continue to be safe!!!

Cheri said...

It's an introspection about one of those things that I think we all know in our heads. I know that I knew it, but it's really hard to keep this knowledge at the forefront of my mind during my daily interactions. Hopefully spending this much time really thinking about it will help me with that.

And the woman I ran into hadn't just seen me on the road, I had actually stopped and chatted with her for awhile. But there has been a couple of times when I talked to someone in town during the evening who had seen me on the road earlier that day. One time the guy had seen me like three days earlier.

ClayBasket said...

Good for you and your shiny attitude Cheri. Your in the country of very strong and stoic Scandinavians. Good hard working stoic people that comes from their upbringing. They may not wave but their arms and face would be the first you'd look into if you had trouble. I had to chuckle when you used the word hermits, as they still advertise up there for women or wives. Women go and it seems to work out. Go figure!
Your 4th of July sounded awesome. I'm glad you had such a good time with my brother. Keep safe sukkertoy. Mange takk for your updates. I'm scandinavian but I don't know how stoic. LOL
Ride with the wind!!!!

MOM said...

I too like your thoughts on continuing to wave. It reminds me of what my mom left with me. She said,"Look people in the eye and see if you can be the first to smile or even say hi. Even if they don't smile back. But your smile may be the very smile and lift they needed that day." So...who knows, your wave may be the very lift someone needs. It help me begin to get out of being such an introvert too. Way to go girl. It does sound like you had a fun 4th.

MOM said...

Forgot the one comment I was going to make. WOW Tim. Those pics of Seattle were beautiful. Have you ever seen on weather channels how they have people send their pics in and they air them? I think yours would be chosen.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Sometimes you get lucky.