Tuesday, September 9, 2008

In case I was too whiny before

I just wanted to be crystal clear in stating that Ottawa was a lovely city, and I had a great time with my friend. It was just the actual biking to and from Ottawa that was lame, and made me cranky.


Tuesday, 9 September: The weather report called for rain all day, and I was super cranky anyway, so I decided to take the day off. I know, I know, the trip is starting to look like one day of riding followed by three rest days, but whatever.

This morning I wandered around the completely deserted campground and found a single unlocked handicapped bathroom that they must have missed when locking everything else in the campground. I hung out in the covered picnic table area for a while, reading, when a park employee showed up to empty the garbage. I asked him if the campground was closed, and he said it was, because they were about to begin construction on it, but he offered to drive me to the other campground. I practically begged to be allowed to stay, since it takes a while to pack up my stuff, and it was all rainy and crappy, but after calling the office, he insisted that I move. He was very nice about it, and gave me some garbage bags to put stuff in, and helped me load it into the truck. He then took me down to the office to register, where I surreptitiously confirmed that none of the eight zillion signs on the door said anything about the campground closure. There were no maps posted. When we drove out to the other campground, I noted aloud that none of the signs even mentioned the campground toward which we were headed. Obviously I was still cranky.

I picked a site next to the bathroom, far from the handful of other campers, most of whom are in RVs, so it's pretty much my own private building. Everything got even wetter during the move, especially my tent, so I set it up to let it dry, and took all of my stuff into the bathroom to dry.

Later in the afternoon the sun came out and dried things, and also made me regret not riding, because it would only have been incredibly miserable for just over half of the day, and then... On second thought, no regrets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CHERI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where are you these days! I can't believe you are still going strong, you crazy biker lady!!!!!!!! How's your Spanish, getting any better at it in your crazy adventures?? I hope all is well

:)

KATIE (from your former neighbor lab)

Cheri said...

Que pasa, Katie! Good to hear from you! I have been so completely not practicing my spanish that I considered answering you in spanish but then lacked the confidence to put my terrible grammer on the internets for all to see. I'm hoping to work on it when I head south...

I am posting right now from Champlaign, NY, just a stone's throw from Vermont. I should be there in no time.

I hope the lab is treating you well.