Thursday, September 11, 2008

Another shot...

...at co-opting another culture by pooping all over an ancient art form that I have only a passing understanding of:

Leaves begin to change
Headed for Ben and Jerry's
Cycling in Vermont

Thursday, 11 September: Last night I couldn't find the proprietor of the Ranch Side Park Campground in Ellenburg, NY, so I set up my tent and had a hot shower in the nice clean bathroom. This morning I went to pay on the way out, but when he found out it was just me with my tent and my bike, the proprietor told me to forget about it and have a nice day. Well, same to you, buddy!

I headed Vermont-ward, planning to ride across the northern part, which is both less mountainy and less populated, but then my friend was like "Vermont! You're going to the Ben and Jerry's factory, right?!" How could I have forgotten that? I picked up the map of Vermont (and New Hampshire!) at the well stocked visitor's center in Vermont, and planned out a mid-day reroute. I should get ice cream fresh from the factory some time tomorrow, and with the new route I had the added bonus of riding south through a series of islands in the northern part of Lake Champlaign. Very lovely. I kept my eyes peeled for Champ, Nessie's US cousin, but there were no ancient sea monsters in evidence.

I had to call it quits a bit early today, because of the challenges inherent in large population center evasion, but that was probably a good thing, since there hasn't been much spring in my step lately. Maybe taking it a bit easy will turn things around.

So far the only lame thing about Vermont is that after charging $16 for a campsite in the state park, they nickle and dime you (draw and quarter?) by charging for showers. And there was no kind of sign or anything that indicated how many quarters should be inserted, and what that would buy you.

Here's a Canadian who coulda used some bear mace:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26650046/

I try not to be political on this blog, but in this time of political rancor and rampant spreading of untruths, I just wanted to be sure you all know about this non-partisan site:

http://factcheck.org/

Nough said.

2 comments:

NewsCat said...

Hey I used to work in the same suite as those factcheck.org kids. They actually *are* kids. There was two of them being bossed by an old guy.

Cheri said...

Please tell me they are capable.