Monday, September 1, 2008

Almost a rest day

Monday, 1 September: After a lazy morning of sleeping in, eating bagels, and playing the game of Life, I finally got back on my bike and pedalled a lackluster half day. It was a pretty nice ride, thanks to some route advice from the woman I stayed with. I had that winning combination of non-busy road with smooth pavement, and there was usually a shoulder. It was a hot day, with a bit of a headwind and some hills, which contributed to my lack of enthusiasm for the ride.

Around 6PM I made it to a city that is way bigger than I generally like to stay in, but there wasn't much of anything coming up in the direction I was headed. I had serious doubts about making it to anything before dark, so, being in no mood for an adventure or begging, I stopped at a convenience store to inquire about camping. I was directed to a campground on the lake at the edge of town (my Garmin didn't know about this one. It doesn't seem to have the best info...) about two miles away. The office was closed when I arrived, and I asked another camper if she knew what I should do. She asked when I was leaving in the morning and said the office opened at 8AM. I said "So if I leave before 8, it's free?" She shrugged non-commitally. Tempting. I found a spot and set up, then asked some other campers how much it costs. $17. Hmm. Seems kinda pricey... I checked out the bathroom, and decided that if I skipped showering in their dank facilities, then I could justify a sleep-and-dash to myself. I didn't pedal too hard or long today anyway, so showering can wait.

No comments: