Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I feel so adopted all the time

Tuesday, 16 September: I woke up too late and was seen by far too many campground employees to sneak out this morning. But that was okay. I was thinking I had gotten enough free camping lately anyway to have such a poor attitude about it, and besides, I was curious how much they would want to charge and if I could talk them down.

While I was packing up my now-just-slightly-damp things, a woman drove up and chatted with me about my trip. She thought it was so great, she told me I could grab a free cup of coffee in the office on my way out, and asked if there was anything they could give me to help with my trip. Suspecting she would advocate for me, I asked about the price of camping. When her query was returned from the office with the (discounted weekday!) price of $24.50, I got all "Holy cow! That much?!" She gave me a sympathetic look and took off, saying she would try to talk them down in the office. She returned a bit later, and told me they were comping me for the night, and I could have a free Danforth Bay Campground T-shirt if I could carry it. Dang! Homeless people should strap on a backpack and walk across the country. "Travelers" are so much more socially acceptable than "homeless people."

So if any of you are looking to resort camp in New Hampshire, pop on by Danforth Bay off Ossipee Lake Road. This upcoming weekend is firefighter appreciation weekend, which makes me want to turn around and head back. Rowr.

The ride today was a mellow roll down to sea level in Portland, Maine. It was a little chilly, so I rocked my new foxy yellow long-sleeved thick cotton T-shirt. I got another flat, sigh, but I have been promised a trip to a bike shop in Portsmouth. As some of you already knew, I was originally planning to go all the way over to Bar Harbor, Maine, which is the northeast corner for the adventure cycling routes, and is in Acadia National Park, which is supposed to be lovely. Well, I've been having a little too much fun on my days off, and had decided that I was running short on time, and would have to skip Maine if I wanted to get to Newscat's place near DC in time for my birthday. I was headed for a friend's place in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, when a conversation with Go Jake yesterday caused another midday change of plans. He was excited that I was in his old stomping grounds, and sent me off to his friend in Portland, Maine with the highest of recommendations, so how could I refuse? Besides, the symmetry geek who lives inside my brain loves the idea that my first night was spent in Portland, Oregon, and my northeast corner is in Portland, Maine.

Go Jake's friend does not disappoint.

3 comments:

jo said...

Sounds like you need a dryer...Anyway you could strap one to the bike that could run off solar? Okay, so I'm dreaming for you. Sounds like the downhill ride was a thrill of a lifetime, glad you enjoyed the moment. I didn't realize I was so many days behind. See what happens when you all make me study? But I did get an 85% on that biology test about the Chemical Basis of Life and the Molecules of Cells, and the next time I have trouble understanding you'll be the first to know, since I've decided you'll be my biology tutor!LOL

Keep having fun on your perpetual holiday.
Jo

go_Jake said...

Thank you, Ann. I love you. 603 represent!

Cheri said...

Jo, you just took a test on my major! I would be thrilled to discuss biology with you, seriously, so call or email whenev! (and a solar powered dryer would be so awesome! Oh wait, I think that's just called "the sun." A rain powered dryer would be an invention I'm sure we could all get behind.)

Jake, thank you! When, within 20 minutes of my arrival, Ann made a joke about boiling babies, I knew I was in a safe place :)