Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ah, the mountains.

Saturday, 13 September: I got a late start this morning, due to all of the critterruptions to my sleep last night. It's kind of a bummer, because it was a really nice day for riding. The hills were brutal, and I didn't make it anywhere near as far as I would have liked to, but the days are getting shorter. I stopped when I encountered some state forest land, because the helpful people from the state park I stayed at last night told me I could camp wherever on state forest land as long as I left no trace. I'm never sure of the rules from state to state. I should just assume I can camp until told differently. But it wouldn't have made much of a difference lately, since I don't recall seeing any state forest land that was specifically posted as such. I only see fences and no trespassing signs. Anywho, here I am, I think at a trailhead of some sort, facility-free and happy to have handi-wipes, extra water and a shovel.

It's nice being way out in nowhere again, but I miss having reception. Vermont has good reception in the towns, but not so much in the woods and mountains. I can stop to post this at the next town, but it's tough to do all of the internet and phone calling things I need to do during the day, when I'm so focused on riding because of the shorter daylight hours. Such are the trials of life on the road...

No comments: