Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Haiku of nothingness

Sunny but not hot
Rode east after a late start
Uneventful day

Wednesday, 10 September: I saw a couple of signs today that said "State Law: Pedestrians must walk on left side of road facing traffic." I'm pretty sure this is a law in Washington, too, as well as a lot of other places. I found it interesting that after 3968 miles of riding in North America, with something like 500 of these miles in New York state, the only time I've ever seen signs like this is on a reservation. It struck me as extremely paternal, but then I got to wondering who controls the road signs on the res. Perhaps it is not the whitey government acting paternally, but the res government? If anyone has any theories or info about this, I'd love to hear them.

No comments: