Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Everything I own is dry

And much of it is even clean! This feels as good as that time I stayed at that hotel and did laundry after escaping from the icy clutches of Glacier National Park.

Wednesday, 17 September: After doing some laundry, I wandered around Portland. It was a beautiful sunny day, so I spent much of it outside, near the waterfront.

I stopped in at the Maine College of Art, and was captivated by a piece called "Wall of Intentions." It was a found art display of around nine hundred grocery lists, to do lists, and notes to self and to housemates. Many were fairly pedestrian, but a few cracked me up, like the one that simply said "Sunday, 11AM. Cat's dirty." I think this was my favorite: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26490833@N02/2866767898/

Sushi and beer for lunch, then more wandering in the sunshine. There's a really nice trail that goes through some greenspace by the waterfront. It would have been a really fantastic bicycle ride, but there was no way I was getting on that thing today.

On several occasions during the day, I caught myself attempting to check my rearview mirror to see if there was anyone behind me. I was not, of course, wearing my mirror clipped to my glasses as I hoofed it around the city; that would be uber dorkotronic. What fascinates me the most about this new behavior is that it took more than four months to develop. It seems that if this was going to become ingrained at all, it would have happened after just a month or two. But maybe it's because I have spent a greater percentage of my waking hours on my bicycle in the last month or so.

1 comment:

Minnesotajo said...

Congratulations.Cheri! You have literally made it coast to coast!