Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Maybe I should write a guide to cheap camping

I'm sure that's never been done before. Maybe I should buy a guide to cheap camping.

I forgot to mention it earlier, but the historic section of Mobile, AL is really beautiful. The streets are lined with these majestic old trees that I didn't have the opportunity to photograph, but I'm sure that's been done to death. There are also some pretty buildings downtown.

I got a late start today and didn't go too far because I'm working with campsite availability. The ride was uneventful-- I didn't run over a single one of the dogs who chased me. I am staying tonight at the lovely Haas-Cienda Ranch in Poplarville, MS. It's a really peaceful place run by a very sweet family who live here all year around. I suspect it's about to get less peaceful, as the waterslide opens Friday, and the summer season will get into full swing. Their tent camping rates are quite nice, and there is toilet paper in the bathroom. It seems like it's way out in the country, but is actually just on the outskirts of a decent sized town, so I'm close to all of the amenities like grocery stores and cell phone reception. If you come through here looking to camp, I would recommend it, but be warned: they don't take credit cards.

I passed by my first Southern Tier touring cyclist today. He started in Houston, and is headed for Mobile, where he will meet up with some other people and ride up the Underground Railroad route. It seems like it would be a nice trip.

No comments: