Tuesday, March 31, 2009

There's no cozier sound...

Than rain falling on your tent-- as long as your tent isn't leaking.

It rained for most of the day, and I truly enjoyed it from my snug little nest. The thunder was vociferous and non-threatening. The mugginess was muggy. I spent much of the day reading from John Steinbeck's travelogue "Travels with Charley in Search of America," which my stepmom gave me, and I have been attempting to read for the last three months or so. It's not that large of a book, and I should have been through it quite quickly, but as a general rule, I am not a travelogue reader, so despite his apt descriptions and skill with metaphor, it hadn't really gripped me yet. Today, it is finally working for me. I think the laziness of a day off on the road lends itself well to his writing style. It's odd, but his general attitude makes reading the book feel a bit like I am talking to a more literary version of myself.

I found my new favorite sentence: "Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans."

1 comment:

jo said...

I like your new favorite line. Do you think it applies to your experiences in MT. I'm positive it applies to mine! Nice to see you writing from the road again. You sound happy, even when you're complaining about the campgrounds!LOL
Jo