Sunday, March 15, 2009

Nashville has some sort of hold on me

I spent a relaxing week in Huntsville, hanging out and going to the Space and Rocket Museum. It was all right, if you like that sort of thing, but it had this big open warehousy kind of feel that bugged me, because there was no real route through the place, so I felt like I was wandering back and forth, trying not to miss anything, and nitpicking the grammar and spelling on the signs. Before we left, we rode on the Mars Rover simulator (I won't give away what is actually located on Mars) and the Spaceshot, which sent us straight up in the air and then dropped, simulating weightlessness for a few milliseconds. Good times! Don't miss those two things if you ever go to the museum.

I was planning on returning to the road, I swear, but a combination of bad weather, last minute plan changes, and the presence of my new favorite band, DD/MM/YYYY, in Nashville on Saturday night caused me to once again board a Greyhound bus and head back up there for the weekend. Fortunately, it was a short, daytime ride, so I wasn't too cranky when I arrived.

DD/MM/YYYY's set was a little wacky because they were on a very small stage, and there are five guys in the band, who switch instruments, so things looked a bit tight. This led to antics that included singing while hanging upside down over a railing beside the stage, and an (intentional) fall from the stage at the end of the show. The first time they switched places, the girl next to me said "musical chairs!" Heh. Nice.

The show was the most random line-up I have ever seen. The first band was some Lillith Fair sounding girly rock. Then DD/MM/YYYY did their ridiculously talented thing, followed by a basic rock'n'roll kind of band that did a few covers of stuff like The Cars. There was a fourth act who cancelled at the last minute, who was apparently kinda bluesy, according to the cranky people who asked for their money back. The good thing about this line-up was that it gave us time to hang with some of the DD/MM/YYYY guys after their sweet sweet set, since we weren't missing anything inside the club. We bought them beers and thanked them profusely, and they gave us t-shirts.

3 comments:

Peg said...

Glad you are having a good "musical" time. I wouldn't be too anxious about hitting the road. The whole nation is in a weather crazy pattern. I woke up to snow here this morning. Looks pretty with the crocuses blooming and the daffidols and tulips not far behind. Stay where it is warm and dry until this craziness passes.....and it will.

Anonymous said...

The show was freaking great!You told me how fantastic this band was and of course you were right!Who am i to argue with the Bitch On Wheels?Great company, great times!Me,Romeo, and Nashville thank you for your repeat visit.This city needs more people like you around!Maybe you have a hold on Nashville.All the cool girls aren't dead!Nashville misses you and wishes you the best of luck on your journey.You rock!

Anonymous said...

Romeo, oh, Romeo! I brought more than a few little pieces of him to Gainesville. Be sure to give him a couple of extra bum-scratches for me.

Peg, the freak snow sounds lovely! Don't worry, I won't take off too soon...