Friday, April 3, 2009

But at least my tattoo still looks good...

***SAFETY ALERT! For anyone cycling the Southern Tier through eastern Louisiana: a bit east of the junction of 440 and 1061, you may be chased by two pitbulls, a smaller white one and a larger brown one. These are not dogs who want you to leave their territory. They want you off your bike. STOP. GET OFF THE BIKE.***

I'm never sure what to do in these situations. Usually, the dog just wants me to leave, so I keep riding. This dog, the larger brown one, did not like that. He bit my rear pannier. Twice. There are two lovely sets of puncture marks in my formerly waterproof saddlebag. Then he bit my leg. I stopped, reaching for my weapon, but once I stopped, so did he. His owner was home, so she brought me inside for peroxide and bandages. When I rinsed the wound, I saw chunks of flesh on my leg, and managed not to hurl. She insisted that he was such a nice sweet good dog, who just went crazy around bikes. And motorcycles. And four wheelers. And lawnmowers... She insisted that he had had all of his shots. She said that he had only bitten one other person-- just a nip, really-- but he had been wearing jeans. (So he was lucky.) She gave me her number, and I rode on, just wanting to get to the campground and relax and take tomorrow off.

A few miles later, it became apparent the bandage wasn't cutting it, so I rigged something up with a maxipad and athletic tape. This is when I noticed the chunks of flesh on my pants, and the holes.

I got to the campground, which was just reopening after being flooded. The owner was there to attempt to restart the pump and get the water running. He hadn't mentioned this when I called to be sure he was open...

I called Anna crying, and she made me laugh by telling me about the April Fool's snow in Seattle. Then the owner and his good ole maintenance man, who will heretofore be referred to as Cletus, came to tell me the water was on. I played the pity card, and Cletus gave me a ride to the nearby store to pick up some food for my day off. It's less than a mile away, but I'm done riding for now, especially on this busy street where no one slows down, and there is no shoulder. Most of the roads in LA have been decent, and the drivers largely courteous, but this one is evil. (38 from Kentwood to Chipola, if anyone cares.) Anywho, Cletus was real nice and I picked up some delicious crawdad pies and whatnot. I considered asking him why people choose to live in godforsaken swamps that flood every year, but I only understand about half the words he says, and there are a couple of bottles of booze on the rider's side floor of his car, and I didn't want to be rude. He also offered to drive me to the hospital if I needed it.

So here I am, at a newly unflooded campground, with gross bathrooms (freshly mopped by Cletus, cuz of the flood and all) that would have been gross even without the flooding, but there's toilet paper and one of the most striking sunsets I have ever seen. The campground, outside the bathroom, is lovely, and I have it to myself, although apparently another coupla touring cyclists will be in later, headed the other direction. I will be sure to warn them about Cujo.

On the bright side: My leg still functions, it's doubtful I have rabies, and my precious tattoo is untouched. And I've stopped bleeding. And flesh washes out of pants.

But it's more electrical tape for the old pannier. I'm sure glad I bought them in black.

9 comments:

OffGridSoul in the North Fork said...

So glad you are ok for now. Any and I mean any sign of pink, swelling oozing you get to a doc in a box and start a routine of antibiotics! I read this post and it just makes me furious. Bejesus!

Oh, and glad to see you posting. We think about you often. Skyler and Jo are in Billings at the National Geographic Geography state finals. Skyler was champion at the middle school and made it quite far at state. Smart kid.

We miss ya - Bill

BettyR said...

OK. I'm seconding what griz901 said. Anticiotics may be the way to go here. I'm glad the tattoo was spared, and I'm just gonna recommend getting the heck out of LA ASAP.

Unknown said...

C
you need to see a doc, no questions about it, this is not just a small nip, do it, now. you should also report the dog and owner to the local sheriff/police for the future protection of other riders, but that's your call, but see a doc, the bite doesn't look good from the photo.
Allan

Jeremy Fluhrer said...

OMG! Cheri, mom says that you need to get to a doc AND that dog needs to be tested...

OffGridSoul in the North Fork said...

I didn't see the picture before. You need to see a doc asap. I know you love puppies and all Cheri but your wound will probably get infected if it isn't already. Take care of yourself first, file a police report and I am going to be blunt.... What if that was a child? Those are the horror news stories you see.
Sorry, really! But see a doc asap.
Bill

Susan and Jim said...

Have it looked at and make her pay!!

OffGridSoul in the North Fork said...

Don't make me use my mother in law. You know she'll track you down!
Bill

cheri said...

Ha ha! Don't sick Susan on me!

Beth, I'm trying to escape, but they just keep pulling me back in. I rode by a pick-up truck that was for sale for $500, and I was like... hmm...

bashful in viola wisconsin said...

Hi from Bashfull...sitting at the Lynxville Bar in Lynxville, WI, having a beer. THey have wifi so thought I'd drop you a line. Got your letter - thanks!! be safe and have fun....