Friday, April 10, 2009

My redneck neighbors are having some sort of obnoxiousness contest

They are all going to win.

Riding went fine today. I met several other cyclists headed in the opposite direction, so I warned them about the pit bull specifically, and about Louisiana in general. They are all riding much faster than me, though, so they'll be in and out in no time.

Toward the afternoon I started to feel lousy, and was entertaining thoughts of taking another day off, since I have some time to kill anyway, but now I'm not so sure. I was headed for a campground in the Sam Houston national forest, but then I realized it was Easter weekend and everyone would be there. I stopped at the ranger station to see if it was full up, and the nice lady there told me I could stay in the overflow camping area, which was free, and I would just have to pay a five dollar day use fee for the facilities, which were very close. That sounded like just the price I wanted to pay, so I went for it. It turns out the showers are a bit further away than I was led to believe, (I call it the journey of a thousand steps) and the overflow area contains many people who seem lame. And "redneck" is what they were shouting about themselves, not just something I chose to label them, so I'm not being snooty. Anyway, I'll have to see how annoyed I am when I get up in the morning... Country music never sounds worse than when it's blasting from someone's crappy car speakers.

2 comments:

OffGridSoul in the North Fork said...

It sounds like you are getting back in touch with your inner-smartass. Nice to read the humor of it all. Every once in a while, during the cold depths of winter, I like to watch youtube stupid redneck tricks. I can only imagine your current bedtime stories as they slowly run out of beer ;-)

cheri said...

Yeah, I distinctly remember hearing the statement "we're out of beer!" last night...