Thursday, April 9, 2009

Yawn. Stretch.

It was time for a rest day and this place is cheap and has laundry facilities and a decently stocked little store, so I stayed put, and pretty much did nothing all day, except that load of laundry.

I smell so clean!

The wind was still pretty strong today, but I think it's supposed to be better tomorrow, when I'll start inching along toward Austin. I've arranged to meet a friend there, but that doesn't happen until the 23rd, and it really won't take me that long to get there, so I plan to take a lot of days off and explore the pretty wooded part of east Texas.

I might as well continue to review campgrounds, because I don't see enough of that on the internets. Other cyclists tend to talk mostly about the riding, unless the campground is exceptional in some way. This one is not. I am at Browder's Marina and Campground on Lake Livingston Reservoir. It has the necessities, like toilet paper and showers, but the facilities in general are not well kept up, and the shower was kinda luke. It's cheap, and the employees are friendly. Many of the tenants seem to be long term RVers, so they are a quiet, friendly bunch. I was stretching on the grass in a position where I look all crumpled up, and one of them drove his golf cart over to ask if I was ok. Cute!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Given your experience in bayou country, you need to watch out for large, aggressive Easter Bunnies as you ride over this weekend. They grow'em big in TX. They may force chocolate and other assorted goodies on you against your will. When I lived in San Antonio, I found the best way to handle them was to accept your fate, eat what they offered and try to enjoy this otherwise unpleasant encounter.

cheri said...

Oh, the horror! I hope there's no chocolate in my future. Shudder.