Monday, April 6, 2009

Dear Louisiana,

When we first met everything seemed so right-- you were so attractive, and a great cook. But over time, I began to see your uglier side. I would make excuses: oh, you're just having a bad day, or I shouldn't have done that thing to upset you like that. But as I was lying awake in bed last night-- yes, you managed to wake me up again, for the third night in a row-- listening to the howling tent-shaking wind, I thought about us. I mean, really thought. I considered my options: I could either spend another night at the gross campground that I hated, or I could struggle all the next day against the very strong wind, trying to go the fifty miles I needed to go to get to the next camping place, but likely failing and having to stay in a hotel. Or possibly even further injuring myself. Both of these options were so unpalatable that serious consideration of either one made my stomach turn and I wanted to cry.

We couldn't go on like this, Louis! What I'm trying to say is that it's better for both of us if I just leave, as quickly as possible. I packed up my things this morning and backtracked sixteen miles to rent a fourteen foot U-haul truck to take me away from you, straight into the open arms of Texas, who may not be perfect, but hopefully will treat me better than you did.

Don't try to find me, or I will take out a restraining order.

Goodbye,
Cheri

I came up with this plan around 3AM, all frustrated and sleep deprived. It wasn't cheap, but I estimate I would have spent about two thirds as much on food and lodging riding all of the miles I drove through instead, and I'm quite happy about it, so it was money well spent. The wind was so crazy strong, it was difficult to drive. Riding would have been really unpleasant. I got to drive on the twenty mile bridge across a big swamp, which I would have skirted on my bike. Halfway across the bridge I stopped at a lovely rest stop and called my dad to tell him where I was, since we had just been discussing Louisiana the day before. He told me I was in the only nice rest stop in the whole state. I will have to take his world for it, since I never saw any other rest stops. He also joked that I was escaping from prison. It kind of felt that way. Once in Texas I stopped to camp at a campground run by an adorable old couple, and the woman knocked a couple bucks off the price since I got in so late in the evening-- around seven. I don't think that has ever happened before. I'm sure the euphoria will pass, but tonight I'm stoked to be in Texas.

5 comments:

Susan and Jim said...

Loved the story. Jim says good call passing on the gumbo as it might have been yesterdays roadkill or even the snake.

Susan

cheri said...

Ha ha, maybe both!

Peg said...

Good call also on making a break from Louisiana! While your biking trip might focus on using your feet, it is really good to see that your brain works just as hard and effectively.

jo said...

I was thinking the same as my parents on the gumbo...probably snake and roadkill among other unmentionables!LOL And I'm also with Peg. Good use of funds and brain power to escape LA.
Glad to see you are on the mend and headed across TX. We've got a friend outside Dallas and his folks live near Amarillo. Call if you need a place to stay and we'll hook you up!

cheri said...

Thanks, Peg! Although I can't take full credit for the Uhaul idea. I was talking to someone this weekend about how maybe I could rent a car somewhere, but it would have to be a town with an airport to get a one-way car and blah blah blah, and they suggested Uhaul. Which was super convenient. Sadly, I was so sleep-deprived and talked to so many people this weekend, I'm blanking on who suggested it. Sorry!

And Jo, I'm going to be quite a ways south of Dallas and Amarillo, but thanks anyway!