Sunday, November 9, 2008

Today was almost like a do over of yesterday

Sunday, 9 November: I woke up late again today, but this time because of exhaustion, not partying. It wasn't warm like yesterday, but it was sunny. I had a cold, mean headwind.

For the third time this trip (or is it the fourth?), I sold my soul to the devil for cheap goods. When a girl needs such disparate items as headphones, tortillas and Luna bars, and is a little short on time, where else is she to go but Wal-Mart? My favorite headphones that I continue to buy because they are comfortable, even though the left ear always stops working in less than a year, were cheaper there than I've ever seen them. (What's the deal with that left ear, Sony?)

I got tired and called it quits early, since I was at the KOA, and my next camping opportunity was too far away to reach before dark. I seem to have lost the ability to find free or cheap camping. It's partly because of my mood, but also because I don't have enough daylight hours to go asking around and then move on if I'm out of luck.

I think this is the first time I've stayed at a KOA on this trip. To me they always seem like the epitome of luxury "kamping," but they are actually cheaper than the place I stayed last night. Which isn't saying much.

I'm basically following the I-81 corridor southwest through Virginia, and then will continue along I-75 through Kentucky on my way to northern Alabama. And camping is pricey this close to the freeway! At least it exists. If any of you know of someone along this route who would take in a stinky dirty cyclist, please let me know!

No comments: