Thursday, November 6, 2008

The applesauce *was* homemade

Made with Lodi and Rambo apples, sugar and lemon juice. Fantastic!

Thursday, 6 November: After a very VERY leisurely breakfast and chat with Margaret Dawson of Dawson's Country Place Bed and Breakfast, I struck out for parts south. Last night I kvetched about the price, because for someone who tries to camp for free as often as possible, it was a little over my budget, but if you are a couple looking for a quiet getaway, it is actually pretty reasonable. They are located just a short drive from Shenandoah National Park, Charlottesville and three presidential homes, including Monticello. The house is set on 28 acres, mostly wooded with walking trails, abutting two hundred some acres of farmland, so it is quite peaceful. The food is tasty, and the conversation delightful. 540-948-3119 or 866-538-0138, if you're going to be in the Madison, VT area.

I had time to laze around because I was only headed to Charlottesville, just a half day's ride to the south, to stay with friends of friends. The ride in was uneventful. I stopped about two blocks away from my destination to consult my GPS, and was overtaken by my host, who was biking home from work. Exquisite timing! After some good conversation and a shower, we went to the Saigon Cafe, a Vietnamese restaurant recommended by Margaret Dawson. My food wasn't quite what I expected it to be, but it was still pretty tasty, and the price was good. After more conversation, an intrusion from a random guy selling firewood door-to-door (?!) and an excellent new episode of "30 Rock," we were off to bed.

No comments: