Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Caffeine and Republicans

Since my dad and other mother picked me up from Virginia, I have been lounging at their place in Athens, Alabama (near Huntsville), making cookies, eating, biking, watching movies and taking walks with my stepmom and her good friend. The walk this morning was the best ever, filled with puppies and ice. If you are a puppy freak like me, check out my youtube, because I actually uploaded FIVE videos of the puppies... And have no fear, the puppies have been moved to a safe place, and homes are being sought as I type.

Later, I accompanied my stepmom to a luncheon for the Republican Women of Madison, where she was touting her new book. I was sadly, grossly, pathetically, woefully underdressed, but the southern belles were gracious. Things went pretty smoothly, but I was feeling so out of place I ended up downing four cookies and five glasses of iced tea. After the luncheon, four or five women were still hanging around, kvetching about the president elect, and it was interesting to see how the same fears the liberals had about the Bush administration heading towards becoming a nazi-like fascist regime have now become the conservative's fears about the Obama administration. It seems like whenever anyone in this country disagrees with anyone else, the go-to insult is "Nazi." It's the new n-word. To quote Jon Stewart on the Daily Show, "you have to try really hard to be that evil!" It's a facile and generally completely inaccurate comparison that we make way, way too easily. Anywho, I managed to just sit back and listen for a while, but then things started to get too ugly, and all of the sugar and caffeine kicked in, so I took on the whole room. Fortunately my stepmom, who has totally missed her calling as a conflict negotiator, jumped in and brought the energy level of the room down before I started throwing punches.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got to be careful Southern belles—particularly the fundie, conservative leaning types carry switchblades in their garters and generally a nice little semi-automatic in their purses. (And I won't explain how I know this).

What kind of coookies

Cheri said...

Seriously. They were worried that Obama would brainwash the young people (you know, like Hitler did) to come take away their guns, and they would have to shoot their neighbors' children. I felt a bit like a spy.

I made peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and the ones at the luncheon were choc chip and white choc chip/macadamia nut. Yum.

NewsCat said...

I remember those cookies. Yummy!

Say more about puppies!! So you were just walking along the road and found a patch of lost puppies???

(I really wish I had been in that meeting...but then again I feel like you probably handled it about as well as I could have. Only I would have thrown punches.)

BettyR said...

All southern belles, regardless of political leanings have a switchblade in their garters, and a semi-auto in their purse!

Cheri said...

You would know, Miss Belle...

Yes, the puppies just wandered out of a culvert and said hi. We were like "wha?! we walk past this culvert three times a week, and you were never here before!" and then we played and hugged and cuddled and played. Ali thinks someone dumped them out there, and they found shelter in the culvert. Good thing, too, because it has been quite cold at night, and was still below freezing when we found them. But they are in a safe place now.

SO cute.

jo said...

You've been busy, what with rescuing puppies and defending common sense in politics. I missed all this yesterday because I was in Missoula for a Dr.'s appt. Glad I was able to catch up... ;)
I should send you some of my Chocolate Rolo Cookies. You'd be amazed.
jo

Cheri said...

OMG, rolo cookies? That sounds AWESOME!