Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veterans' Day!

Tuesday, 11 November: Today I was faced with a tough choice: stay on USBR 76 and skirt some large population areas, riding on tranquil country roads into a corner of the national forest where I could probably do some backcountry (free) camping, or stay on the highway through some cities and pay to camp at yet another pricey place. As much as this seems like an easy choice, there were complicating factors. 76 is a longer route, and appears to be more hilly as well. I am still feeling black bear-anoid, and tying my food up after dark is no fun. And last but not least, it has been pretty cold lately, and a hot shower before bed is great for bringing the feeling back into my toes. As I sat on a roadside break contemplating my options, a police officer pulled up and ran my ID and asked me a bunch of questions. It seems there have been some "B&Es" in the area recently (I had to ask: it's breaking and entering) and he thought it would be a good idea to question the transient. He was very nice about the whole thing, but this still helped me make my decision. I don't want to give these guys more reason to hassle me, so I went for the pay camping option.

The ride went fine, although it was less than pleasant going through the cities. In case you were wondering, Salem, VA is full of teenage boys who shout unintelligible things from their reeking filthy trucks. Seriously, doesn't Virginia have emissions laws?! My lungs are illin'! But I digress. The hills were manageable, and I made my destination before dark, where I received a pleasant surprise: I was only charged $8 to camp. Now that's more like it!

All in all, a pretty decent day.

3 comments:

Minnesotajo said...

Hi Cheri! I haven't posted in awhile but I still keep up with your posts. Sounds like an interesting run-in with the police. Who would have thought you would be questioned on your bike!! I would have had to ask about the B&E too. I hope things warm up for you soon! Miss you!

jo said...

I can't believe a police officer would mistake you for a transient. Good luck on ride through the outskirts of the cities.

jo

Cheri said...

But I *am* a transient! And I smell like one, too... He also asked if I had seen anyone walking around (because walking is suspicious in these parts) and if anyone had tried to sell me anything.

I wish the cops had tried that hard to get *my* stuff back when my apartment was robbed. They were just like (shrug) "probably street kids."