Saturday, November 8, 2008

I love a sunny day off

And warm, too!

Friday, 7 November: I took a day off and explored Charlottesville, VA. I walked to the UVa campus to check out the really cohesive architecture, then took the free trolley downtown to wander a bit. The free speech wall, which is basically a giant chalkboardy area, was a fun idea, and had some amusing stuff on it. And a lot of lame teenager garbage. I ate at the Tea Bazaar, which is a super mellow place to sit for a while, then took the free trolley to the campus, and walked back to the apartment. It turned out to be my host's birthday, so we went downtown for a beer and some food, then came home for more beer and Rock Band. I could get addicted to the drumming...

Charlottesville is a pretty cool city. It's in what I'm discovering is a sort of sweet spot for population size: around fifty thousand, although the student population swells this number some. This seems to be large enough to give a decent variety of restaurants and theaters, but small enough to be pretty friendly. They also have what appears to be good public transit.

I am now headed, once again and despite my better judgement, into the mountains of Virginia for some more pain. For various reasons, this seems to be the best route if I want to get to Alabama by Thanksgiving. That's right, as catchy as "Alabama by Christmas" sounds, I would really rather be there by Thanksgiving, as it is my favorite holiday, and I don't want to miss out on any mashed potatoes and gravy. I heard that there are areas of little reception in the mountains, so there may be some days when I don't post.

2 comments:

jo said...

I'm so disappointed there will be no Christmas country song...I was really looking forward to reading the lyrics.
Take it easy and dream about the down hill parts!
jo

Cheri said...

I've never been much of a songwriter, anyway. The world is probably better off without this song. Although if you want to try your hand at it, I won't sue for copyright infringement.