Friday, October 10, 2008

Oh My God, Are You Serious!?!

As much as I want it to be a joke, (seriously, stick around for the last two minutes, it's worth it) AIG asked for another $37,800,000,000 bailout after spending $440,000 on a corporate retreat after getting an $85,000,000,000 bailout from the government. I could have just typed "billion," but I thought all of the zeroes were more effective.

And speaking of corporate financial shenanigans, a friend's blog alerted me to the fact that 79% of US corporations pay no taxes at all, according to a report by the Government Accounting Office. It's all very well said in that first link, so I am going to move on to the real purpose of this blog, and you can choose to dig it if you wish.

I think being in the DC area right around election time is having an effect on me...

Tuesday, 7 October: I showed up late for pub quiz, and was no help at all, but our team won, so my two beers were free.


Wednesday, 8 October: After giving the nice man several hundred dollars, I picked up my bike from the shop, and man is that thing sweet. I glided (glid? glode?) soundlessly back to the apartment.


Thursday, 9 October: I considered riding my bike, but then I didn't. Maybe tomorrow. There is a surplus of nice weather here right now, and getting on my bike doesn't really feel urgent.

2 comments:

NewsCat said...

"One of us!" "One of us."

I can see you are already becoming a beltway insider.

jo said...

I'm sending my daughter that way this summer for a 5 day historical trip. I'm hoping she picks up on some of this insider stuff. She's a smart one, and quite opinionated (not that I know at all where she gets it!) :)

Glad to you are linking me up and helping wade through all the STUFF we've got going on in the financial world. Frankly I need bail out money in my household, so I really think it stinks it's heading to corporations and not us little people....I know something about payroll and jobs...but what about feeding and housing a family?

Jo