Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Brr

It's a lovely day, but I'm on a highly air-conditioned bus to NYC, where I will be splurging on a hostel and visiting the obligatory sites. Everyone on the bus is wearing a jacket. This is ridiculous.

Friday, 10 October: We went to the Dogfish Head Alehouse, which is run by my favorite brewery. The actual brewery is in Delaware, but one of the two random alehouses they run happens to be just a few miles away, in Falls Church. I heart their beer, but the alehouse was a bit of a letdown. The food was adequate, and they were out of a beer I wanted to try. The beer I had was good, but I had tried it in Chicago. They sold some stuff to go, but not the thing we wanted, and were out of another thing I wanted. The waiter was kind enough to direct us to a small neighborhood grocery store that specialized in beer, which is pretty close to the apartment, and well worth the trip.

Saturday, 11 October: We had a nice bike ride out to Bethesda for lunch. I reached a new personal best: 1.1 miles without touching my handlebars. And I could have gone further, if it weren't for those meddling kids! Several times I got to about 2/3 of a mile and had to brake when confronted by too many other trail users. The last time this happened, I wasn't having it. I held up my hands and yelled "Don't make me touch the handlebars! I'm setting a record!" They moved aside. I thanked them on the way past.

In the afternoon we returned to the beer store for a beer tasting, and spent much time discussing porters with the devoted beer lover who was pouring.

Sunday, 12 October: I dragged myself off the couch for just long enough to go to Hellburger, because my friend claims that they serve the best burgers ever, so despite my love of guilt-free protein, I had to see what she was talking about. The burger was alright, and they offered many delicious topping options, but the bun disintegrated quickly, and the burger was just too big for me. My mouth is tiny. It all fit in my stomach, though, with a little help from my friend the fork.

Monday, 13 October: I took a nice bike ride around Arlington, in a loop on three different bike paths, with barely any time on the street.

2 comments:

jo said...

I'm hoping the 4 day break in posting is helping your thumbs recover! Good to hear you are headed sans bike in NYC. Enjoy!

Jo

Cheri said...

The thumbs-- they start to get better, and then I go and compose a whopper of a post, or write a lot of emails... I have got to cut that out!