Thursday, October 30, 2008

Baltimore-- Who Knew?

Maybe it's because of the sunshiny John Waters tinted glasses I'm wearing, but I kinda dug Baltimore. It's quirky, and the people seem pretty friendly.

Monday, 27 October: Nothing to report, not even a new episode of "How I Met Your Mother." Sigh. I'm gonna miss that show when I return to the road.

Tuesday, 28 October: I took the MARC train from DC to Baltimore for the low low price of $7. I met up with an ex-labbie who recently moved from Seattle to Baltimore, and we went back to his place for some of his wife's delicious cooking. All of you ex-labbies who have had her cooking know you're jealous! It's funny, they are now living about five miles south of the place in Maryland where I camped in those peoples' yard when there was a really bad storm, but at the time, my friends were not yet living here.

Wednesday, 29 October: I walked around a little by the waterfront in Baltimore, and climbed up to the top of Federal Hill Park for a nice view of the harbor and the city. Then I scooted over to the American Visionary Art Museum, which was completely worth the $12 entrance fee. All of the art there is "outsider art," or art made by artists with no formal training. Seriously, if any of you are ever anywhere remotely near to Baltimore, do yourself a favor and check it out. I ended up only allotting about two hours to it, but could easily have spent three or four. It was pretty much completely awesome.

I swung by the lab to surprise my ex-labbie's current labmates, who all moved lab together from Seattle. We popped by the graveyard where Edgar Allen Poe is buried before heading back home for more delicious food and the Obama variety show. The food was better than the infomercial. Mmm, fishballs.

Thursday, 30 October: I wandered around some more in the waterfronty downtowny sort of area, then met up with the scientists for lunch at the Lexington Market, which is apparently the oldest covered market in the country, according to something someone told me. I had "the best crab cakes in Baltimore" (according to the sign), which were indeed delicious. I wandered past the Washington Monument, then caught the train back to Arlington.

No comments: