Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Whoa, the comments...

What the heck is going on in here?! Look, I completely understand the desire to maintain your anonymity online, and you don't have to share who you are with the group, but if you are so anonymous that *I* don't even know who you are, then don't be surprised if people get curious. And of course my mom is going to be curious, a well as a bit protective. She's my MOTHER! She has earned that right! We all have mothers, and know how it is. So fine. Be anonymous, say whatever you want to me, tell me I'm a nutjob for doing this, I can take it. But respect each other, and for crying in the night-- do not. Be rude. To my MOM! Everyone on the planet knows that disrespecting someone's mother is the same as asking for a smackdown.

Now, back to our show...

Sunday, while my four plates of breakfast were settling, I got a new bolt for my rack and chatted with some locals. They said not to worry too much about bears if I was near 2, because the black bears only seldom came down from the mountains, and the grizzlies never did. Good to hear.

Big food + little sleep = sluggish, but I don't regret a bite of it. Well maybe the biscuits and gravy, they weren't so good. I soldiered on for a couple hours, then took a nap under a tree. I was still pretty slow when I got back to pedaling, but since I had started early and didn't have to stop to eat (seriously, breakfast lasted all day) I managed to do some decent miles. It was mostly done raining by the time I finished breakfast and errands in Libby, then got kinda sunny-ish after that, but stayed fairly cool. Nice for riding!

I pulled off 2 onto McGinnis Meadows road. It is a national forest access road. My Garmin said there was something here called Pleasant Valley Park, but I didn't really believe it. There is a place called Pleasant Valley several miles NE of here, so it seems like a safe bet that the park would be over there somewhere. Anywho, I didn't find anything that looked like or was labeled as a park, but I did find a bunch of meadows and trees that I decided to camp in. There was a nice little half-circle of Ponderosa Pines (I think) right off the road that had dropped a bunch of needles, so it was a great place for a tent.

Monday: even more sluggish. I must be worn out. Maybe I only have 2.5 days of riding in me, rather than 3. I eke out a few miles that seem to be mostly uphill, then find a campground by McGregor Lake. It is a national forest campground, with toilets and water taps. A good place to spend my mandatory day off, and there's hardly anyone else here, it being Monday and all.

Tuesday: This morning I dreamed I was at a pizza restaurant that had an all you can eat buffet with both pizza and burrito fixings for only two dollars. That may have been the best dream ever.

Last night I started listening to the audiobook of "The Tipping Point," which analyzes what causes social epidemics-- fashion trends, word-of-mouth news, diseases-- to suddenly blow up and become huge in a certain population. I think it was written from a marketing perspective, but it was so interesting I listened for two hours and stayed up too late and had to force myself to pause it and go to bed. Then today I finished it. All 8.5 hours.

The book I have been reading, "The Rise of the Vulcans" by James Mann, is the history of Bush II's war cabinet. It is pretty interesting, if you like history and politics, which I'm not particularily into, but I didn't want to blow through my book in a matter of days and have to be on the hunt for a new one. Did you know Dick Cheney had his first heart attack in June of 1978, at age 37, when running for Congress? Holy moly! I was not quite two at the time. This guy has been having heart attacks for pretty much my entire life, and nearly half of his. (Insert joke here. Can't decide which way to go. Energizer bunny? Timex? Clones? Robot? Frankenstein's monster? Sucks life force from blood of newborn puppies? Purchases new hearts on the black market in third world countries? Too... many... jokes...)

Wednesday: This morning was the coldest, rainiest ride I have had yet, but I'll take that over wind any day! Spurred on by the weather and assisted by the many long downhill portions of the ride, I made record time into Kalispell, where the angelic Susan (from the Tri-Cities, remember her?) has offered to pick me up so I don't have to bike through the city. She is taking me to her daughter's place, outside Columbia Falls, where they have kindly offered to let me camp. It will be nice to converse with people again...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, as I read you through an RSS feed, I've been missing (?) all the exciting comments.

Le sigh.

On a happier note you are missing one hell of a wet winter here in Seattle. Oh. wait. It's spring. Wouldn't know it looking out the window or at the thermometer (and it's not just because I'm a whiny Californian :p or because I'm old.... ).

Speaking of which.... I'll be older next week. How about finding some warm sunshine and sending it my way?

All the best.

meanderingsteve said...

biscuits and gravey???
just find a 10lb rock and put it in a belly pack, it will be easier on you and you can toss it when you get tired of it. yeah, i know, it feels good going down. i would imagine that as your body continues to strengthen you will find your stamina increasing and will actually miss the pedlin. listening to recorded books seems to me to be a great way to get your mind away from listening to you body being bored and hearing it whine. i heard of a great audio book club that gives you 3 free selections each month for a flat monthly fee. i can look for it if you want. am considering it myself but so far the XM seems to help reduce the size of an 11 hour drive.

minnijoe, my last post was written from the rest area just to the west of st cloud on 94. your place of birth i believe? anyway, was thinkin of all-ya-all when a-passin thru

BettyR said...

Dick Cheney is totally a robot. I'm going with the robot joke. Have we noticed that his heart attacks coincide with the release of microsoft OS? Do you think he now has Vista?
BTW, have you read a book called "The Ecology of Commerce"? I think you might like that. I see used copies all over the place. It's a pretty hefty hardback though.

MOM said...

Hi Cheri,
Was happy to see all your commentary and how far you got. Kalispel...cool. I'll have to get out the map and see how many miles that is. 4...4..plates??? I couldn't believe it!! I too was glad to hear about the bears. You won't be in mt. terrain for too much longer now, so it will be fun to see the progress in that part of the country. I liked Kim's 2 ?s too. It will be interesting to hear your response to them.
I think the audio books are great for you too. Liked ms's thoughts on that one.
Need to catch up with you on your mail. If you think it can wait 'til Sat., that is fine. I haven't opened them yet.
Talk later. Love you lots.

MOM said...

Oh, forgot. Have you told Susie that your mother thanks her? lol.

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

Excellent post and just in time before the withdrawals hit. I can practically hear my mom cheering now. Hi MOM!

I'm going with "Sucks life force from blood of newborn puppies". The imagery is captivating and I believe it's probably the most accurate depiction.

Have fun with your awesome new friend Susan!!

Faith said...

Cheri,
Wow girl, you've got to eat!! I've read that the average gal will burn anywhere from 300-500 calories / hour depending on exertion etc... Even if is a light riding day, after a few hours on the bike, your body needs fuel!! Trust it to cue you in to eating an appropriate amount :)Absolutely, go for that 4th plate! Oh, and add some real whip and dark chocolate shavings too!
Regarding Cheney, and his less than optimal health, here is an interesting link you may like to check out that nicely examines some of the ongoing health care disparities folk often face. Go CA nurses!
http://thinkprogress.org/2007/12/10/cheney-health-ad/
On that note, back to studying anatomy. I'll be free tomorrow after my final to do what you have been immersing yourself in the past few weeks. To bike = To Live! LOVE your blog.
Cheers.

Peg said...

Love to read your posts with my morning coffee. So Anna is completely correct.....without both of those I could go into withdrawals. But that is sign that you are a very good writer....keeps me wanting to read more. Keep having fun on your grand adventure...and sharing it with us. She is also right on about Cheney. Of course, none of this shows an bias towards Anna, does it? Us Moms tend to really like our awesome daughters....and even our awesome daughters' awesome friends!

ali elizabeth said...

Cheri Lynn,

I greatly appreciate your comments re: your mom's right to be concerned as well as respected. She's a good woman and deserves it all. I am also glad you have so many people in your corner on this "historic" journey.

I really am not kidding re: your needing to think about publishing this when you are finished. It's good stuff, Maynard!

You encourage me to get crackin' with recording the audio version of the book. I would love to think of it as something that could strengthen you on your great "Travels With Charlie" Adventure (sans Charlie, of course.) John Steinbeck, move over! Cheri Turner is giving you a run for your money.

A few days ago I went to see the new Indiana Jones flick to celebrate being finished with the book. One of my fave soldier kids from Baghdad is in the movie as a Russian soldier, and it was way cool seeing him on screen.

But what was even better is the bang up job that Karen Allen does as the ultimate combat driver. I imagine by the time you are finished with this adventure you could add that to your resume, what with dodging bears and bozos.(Oops, no bears, sorry Julee! : ) )

Am looking forward to getting the Juice Plus into your no doubt rock hard li'l tummy.(The rocks emerging neither from the biscuits nor the fanny pack your dad suggested, but from getting strong...) I know how much it has helped your dad and me, and then I can finally calm down about you getting enough nutrition for being an extreme athlete.

You rock, baby, and I'll call you soon so we can get you fixed up.

Cara said...

On my way home from Quebec in northern Maine I saw several bikers loaded with gear and thought of you. They looked like they needed 4 (or 5) plates of breakfast.

And I'll have to go with "Sucks life force from blood of newborn puppies" also. : )

Keep on truckin, woman!

Seattlenaturelover said...

For all of you who seem to be out to get me, which is probably everyone. How about YOU showing me a little R E S P E C T. I have done nothing wrong. It is you guys that should apologize to me. For being an innocent guy just trying to leave some nice comments to Cheri and this is what I get for it. Thanks. It appears you all are a bunch of selfish people anyway and who wants to deal with those type of people. NO ONE!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Regular human said...

Hi, umm, Sorry.

Did you catch the last word?