Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I miss Culbertson...

Tuesday, 24 June: Rest day. I picked up a package that my "uthah muthah" sent to me general delivery. It actually works! Then I chatted for about an hour with a lonely old man. He talked my ear off. He started out with the standard grumpy old man rants: the world is getting worse, it's so dangerous out there, so much crime, politicians are all screwing the taxpayers... I can't say I disagree with that last one, but I think the other perceptions may be a product of too much tv news. He asked what kind of work I did before I left. When I said I had done bacterial genetics research, he said "oh, you're one of those smart women!" Not smart people. Smart WOMEN. I chuckled and said I guessed I was. He told me about 42 stories about his life. It was fun chatting at first, but after a while started to feel like a public service. I stuck it out for a while longer, since I'm camping in the park for free, I might as well do some community service, right? But then it was all too much, and I attempted to make a graceful exit. That's actually pretty difficult to do when you are in the Saturday club. Where do I have to be? After two or three more stories I escaped.

The weather started out cloudy, then turned to rain, then a thunderstorm with hail, then got sunny. I spent the stormy part of the day at the library, computing and reading Newsweek. It's rare to take a day off in a small town that not only has a library-- with computers-- but to also have it be a day that the library is open. Lucky me! Most of the small town libraries I see are only open two days a week (this one was a whopping three!) for a few hours at a time. They are definitely not well funded. I was there for maybe two or three hours, and three other people used the computer, someone else looked at magazines, and one woman brought her child in for a book. I wonder if more people would come in if it were open for more hours, or if that would just be wasted wages and electricity? I suppose if you used the library regularly, you would just plan around their schedule. I love libraries, and grew up an avid user, so it makes me sad to think that so many people cannot just walk into a huge building full of books anytime. This was pretty much the size of a living room full of books. I noticed an inter-library loan sign. I should have asked how the selection is. Next time...

In the evening, I had a swim at the pool. A shower, a swim, and another shower, all for only $1. I could almost stay in this town for another day. But I don't want anyone to think I'm just some homeless person, living in their park. Although I guess I kind of am.

Wednesday, 25 June: I left the lovely town of Culbertson, MT, and headed for North Dakota. This is the fifth state I've biked in (although Oregon just barely counts), and the third time zone. The wind was once again my friend. It's as mercurial as a junior high BFF. The hills weren't as bad as they were west of Culbertson. Why are they the steepest when the wind is against me? This is definitely not an issue of perception-- they were really bad for about 15 or 20 miles. All in all the riding was pretty easy, but I guess one rest day wasn't enough, because I was still sore today, so I didn't push myself too far.

On the way to ND I passed two Harvard boys going the opposite direction, Seattle bound. We chatted for a few, and they gave me one of their Adventure Cycling maps that they were done with. Now I'm super extra glad I didn't waste any money on these things. They would be great if you wanted to follow a very specific, turn-by-turn route that someone had laid out for you, but if you want to deviate, you will need another map.

At the ND border I met a guy travelling east alone. He was struggling to take a photo of himself by the "Entering North Dakota" sign, but wasn't able to set up his camera on the tiny little tripod because the grass was too long. I showed up at just the right time and gave him a hand.

Shortly after crossing the border, there was a marked increase in mosquitoes. By Williston, they were downright vicious. I didn't really go into town, I just went to one of the many RV parks on the highway. What a mosquito-infested hellhole. It's possible I would have a higher opinion of this place if the "groceries" they advertised on their freeway signage had been something more than a jug of milk, six assorted cans of Dinty Moore stew, and a well stocked cooler of soda. So long, dreams of eating a sandwich for dinner and yogurt for breakfast. If their sign hadn't said that they sold groceries here, I would have stopped at one of the many stores I passed on my way here. Oh, yeah, and my tent is pitched on pretty much solid rock. The stakes are nearly useless, and there are no big rocks around to help hold things in place. And after my shower, two different mosquitoes bit me in the bathroom before I could get my clothes on. Once I was fully clothed, I hurried to my tent and shut myself in for the night. Even if there were anywhere to go, I would be unwilling to leave my tent until well after dark. It's lame, because much of my dinner-type food requires cooking, but there's no way I'm going out there without smothering myself in deet first, and I don't want to do that before climbing into my sleeping bag. And I think there is a band practicing next door... This is not an endorsement of this campground. But I found some food I could eat in my tent, and then got to the typing.

I love the way my phone says it has four bars, and then I try to connect and it suddenly realizes it only has maybe two, or possibly none. Thank you, AT&T, for making your phone as sketchy as your lousy service. For awhile tonight I couldn't get online, but now it seems I can. Hmm. Who knows...

6 comments:

Regular human said...

Technology is crafty and sly. It shouldn't be trusted. It is willing to be your constant companion but will also let you down constantly.

If someone said they wanted to do your trip but couldn't, what would you say is the biggest thing they would miss?
What perceptions or viewpoints have you really woken up to or changed so far?

jo said...

Montana Library System. To answer your library questions...I use the inter-library system. You set up an account and log into the online catalog and every published book imaginable is avail. You request the book by placing it on hold and then depending on how many other requests there are in days or months you get an e-mail telling you your book is avail for pickup at your local library. When I drove 2000 miles a month I used the system for books on tape/cd and now for books to read. Usually every two months I make a trip to borders and make a list of new books I want to read and then hit the computer to make my requests. Even in a town as large as mine our library is only open 12-6 most days and 12-8 two days a week, but it is open 6 days each week regardless of the hours.

I too, am not a fan of the mosquito, but definately have learned to live in deet most of the summer...might be worth it to use the deet and then take a wipe bath before climbing into the sleeping bag...besides it sounds like you might need to wear the product during the day too.

Jo

Cheri said...

jo- good info about the libraries. I'm glad to know there is a good selection.

Sigh. Deet.

Kim- I think people are missing out on the chance to live their dreams, and to really prove to themelves what they are capable of- to find ther physical and mental limits, to give themselves time and space to just think without constant distractions (darn you, technology!)... So far I haven't had any huge changes in perceptions or viewpoints, just development of what was already there. The idea that most people are basically good has been proven. The thought that people are more helpful in small towns than in big cities, because, like Tom Cruise says, "If I don't help, no one else can!" has pretty much held up. I have been pleasantly surprised by the diversity of people who live out in nowhere. Oh, they're still all white, but the backgrounds, education levels, reasons to live out here, that stuff is pretty interesting.

MOM said...

Sooo, how did you make your exit from the older, story telling gentleman? Tell him you had to wash your hair before you head to the theater?
What are some of the reasons people want to live out in nowhere land?

WendySue said...

In response to the whole mosquito thing.(I read a couple of posts together so I may be superimposing one onto the other) ..ouch! the little buggers like to snack on me like tomorrow there won't be any blood left anywhere in the world, so I feels ya, dig? It was nice chatting w/ you the other day. After getting off the phone w/ you I tried practicing a "no hands" stance on Daniel's bike and ending up eating gravel! My skills aren't really in the balance department but I'm getting better oO''Oo Also, I got the job at Harborview. Not as intriguing socially as what I was doing previously, however I'll be in a hub of the human experience and that ain't nuthin ter thumb yer nose at, mmm hhhmmm. Stay cool,cucumber

Cheri said...

Wendy, congratulations! On the job, not on eating gravel... You are going to love those sweet sweet benefits!

Mom, I was holding the package from Ali that I had just picked up at the post office, so I said I had better go call her to let her know I had received it. Not the best excuse ever, but there ya go.

Most people seem to live out here for family reasons. They think it will be a safer place to raise their kids, and often they are returning to live near their parents. Or coming back to work the family farm. Sometimes it's just a job transfer, and they want to try something new. Sometimes, they have never left.